Legendary Oracle

What's your favourite Ethnic dish?

A hamburger is NOT ethnic, so pick another dish.

My favourite has to be an Iraqi dish called Tbeet    . It's a Dish that was prepared before Sabbath, as no new flame is to be lit on a Sabbath, the oven could not be turned on, so this dish was prepared beforehand.

There are a few varieties of preparing this dish, my Blessed Grandmother prepared it in the oven, with slightly differing spices.

And for Desert, a true Baklava and Kataif (Balawa and Kunafa in Arabic) using a homemade sauce that does not use honey.

Mind you, when in season, a Guava duff Bahamian style is always nice also.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: What's your favourite Ethnic dish?

[ Edited ]

What a great thread @Elico47 !! I am a Mexican so I am a little biased towards my pick. My favourite dish is called "Tortitas de carne en salsa verde" which roughly means "Beef patties with green sauce". Basically you get a piece of beef, thread it and then add it to an egg-based batter. You take a spoonful and fry it in the pan like a pancake. Then you dunk it in a tomatillo-based green sauce and voila!

You can serve with refried beans and spanish rice. Hands down, my favourite Mexican dish. My mom makes it everytime she comes for a visit. Note: Doesn't look super appetizing but it tastes awesome!

BBYJorge
Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Click on the WHITE STAR to show your appreciation!
Follow us on Twitter @BBYCanada
Epic Genius

Re: What's your favorite Ethnic dish?

I don't have as interesting of a story behind it, but my favorite would be Butter Chicken.  There is a fantastic Indian restaurant within walking distance of my apartment and my wife and I go there regularly.

David G.
Multi-Channel Sales Assistant
Best Buy Kanata
(613)287-3912

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: What's your favorite Ethnic dish?

Butter chicken is a solid choice @DA_Dave . Where I used to live there was an Indian restaurant that had very good lunch specials. On Mondays it was Mango curry chicken with rice and naan bread. It became my default Monday lunch because it was delish. 

BBYJorge
Community Coordinator

Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Click on the WHITE STAR to show your appreciation!
Follow us on Twitter @BBYCanada
Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle

Being in Vancouver "fusion" is a popular choice....  Gung Haggis Fat Choy!

http://www.bcliving.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/node_image_small/files/articles/GVO-food-janev...

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I had never heard of Gung Haggis Fat Choy before, but that looks fantastic!

David G.
Multi-Channel Sales Assistant
Best Buy Kanata
(613)287-3912

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

I have been having a Persian food obsession these past few months! 

Mirza Qassemi (meldley of smokey broiled eggplants, garlic, herbs, topped with fresh mint) is a must try, before this I thought I hated all things eggplant Smiley Wink 

Koobideh kebob (skewers of ground beef) absolutely melt in your mouth if done well!

And lastly, Ghormeh Sabzi (beef chunks,

cooked in sautéed vegetables, dried limes, red kidney beans) was Delicious!

For those of you in Vancouver, Dine Out is starting next week, always a great time to try out some new restaurants Smiley Happy Report back if you find something new! 

BBYJuby
Community Coordinator

Legendary Oracle

I love the Persian foods that are abound in North Vancouver. Being used to Middle Eastern cuisine, the spices and cooking methods are so similar throughout Middle East ,that everything tastes good.

I remember finding a Persian grocery store, and locating Saffron infused rock sugar that went perfectly with a nice tea.Typically, a small rock would be held between the front teeth, as you sipped mint tea on the balcony on a hot day after having a nice lunch in a pita Smiley Wink

Blogger

German food! My grandma used to make it all the time so I'll get a craving and have to try to replicate one of her dishes. I did bavarian pretzels not too long ago and they were amazing!

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Visit-the-Plug-in-Blog/Celebrate-Octoberfest-with-homemade-Bavarian-Pre...

Legendary Oracle

As some holidays have certain restriction, in my tradition, on Passover we abstain from any foods that contain yeast, or use water to expand(cook), such as Pasta and Rice, bread, beer etc...

In lieu of bread we eat Matzah (unleaven bread) as did our ancessotors in their hasty exodus.

Note this is a great bread substitute for dieters.

As no bread is to be used, I still need a "sandwich" for my lunch kit, so I use a recipe my blessed Grandmother passed on to me as a youngster.

In this case basic ingrediants called for the following;

-Matzah

-Beaten egg

-Butter

-Pre-cooked filling, such as ground beef & veggies, or chicken, cheese etc..

-Large flat dish with luke warm water.

-Large frying pan

-Gently break Matzah in half

-Lightly soak matzah halfs in water dish, do not over soak, just enough to make it more pliable.

-Gently dredge soaked matzah in beaten egg batter, making sure both sides are battered.

-Butter pre-heated pan

gently put battered matzah half in frying pan, allow bottom to lightly brown, then flip over, and put on appropriate portion of stuffing, cover it with 2nd dredged matzah half, carefully flip over the sandwich, and cook allowing both sides to seal a pocket.

Here's another idea for a great recipe for cheese lovers, using a similar idea.