Audio

Contributor
dunimportequoi

What's the difference between 7.1 Channel and 7.2 Channel?

What's the difference between 7.1 Channel and 7.2 Channel?
Contributor
knight_40k

All it is, is having 2 subs hooked into 1 Receiver. You c...

All it is, is having 2 subs hooked into 1 Receiver. You can also do this with a 'Y' splitter on a 7.1, but it isn't as accurate and divides the output power in half going 2ways, but thats how I do it and you do still notice the extra bass alot! Now I have not experimented with proper 7.2 myself, but as I understand it, you can set the crossovers different on each sub so if you had a smaller one, say a 8", let it handle the more mid lows, and let the big 12" hit the deep lows. Either way....2 subs is very nice for HT.
Sharp Aquos LC42D62U / Onkyo TX-SR705 / Monster SS HTS 5100 MKII / Parasound 2100 / Parasound 275 / Pioneer Elite DV-49AV / Samsung BD-UP5000 / PS3 / Logitech Harmony 520 / Energy RC-70 / Energy RC-LCR / Energy RC-R / Energy RC-30 / Energy RC-10 / Velodyne DPS-12B / Energy ESW-V8 / Energy Veritas 2.2i
Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
3M_3TI8

There is no "output power" from the sub out on...

There is no "output power" from the sub out on the receiver.

Only an audio signal is transmitted to the subwoofer, and the sub's internal amps supply the power. Unless, your're using a damaged y-adapter or a shoelace, the average person will not notice any signal loss.

The extra sub out will allow you control sub frequencies via the reciever, but most subs also have adjustable frequency dials built in.

FYI, THX standards state that you should have FOUR subs:smileysurprised:
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.