Highlighted
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Share your favourite quick and easy pregnancy-friendly recipes

ShelaghM’s blog “Pregnancy Nutrition and Exercise” does a fantastic job of outlining some of the basic dietary needs and risks associated with pregnancy. We all know the general rules: folic acid, calcium, iron-rich foods = good. Raw fish (bye sushi), unpasteurized dairy & alcohol = bad. But just what should you be eating day in, day out while pregnant?

Share some of your favourite recipes here!

An easy, healthy option (whether you’re expecting or not) is a Spinach, grapefruit & avocado salad with salmon. It’s simple and fast to make, and full of delicious vitamins.

spinachsalad.JPG

Salad:

4 oz baby spinach

2 ruby red grapefruits

1 avocado

1 cup cooked quinoa (be sure to rinse well before cooking), or brown rice

Vinaigrette:

1 ½ tbsp olive oil

1 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 garlic clove, minced

shallots, minced

Salt & pepper to taste

Honey to taste (optional)

Salmon:

1-3 salmon fillets (depending on size)

1 orange or lemon
1 tbsp capers
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

I prefer to grill my salmon on the BBQ, but you can also bake it if you like. Create a bed of sliced oranges or lemons on tin foil, and place your fillets on top. Drizzle with the olive oil, add the minced garlic, salt and pepper, and place on a hot grill. Depending on how big your fillets are, it can take up to 20 minutes to cook the fish the whole way through – be careful not to overcook! I always keep a close eye after the first few minutes to make sure I catch the fish at just the right moment.

Toss the salad and combine the vinaigrette ingredients. The salad can be served as a side to the salmon, or with the salmon on top. I usually flake it (cools down faster) and then toss it with the salad.

Enjoy! And share your favourite vitamin-rich recipe for mom’s to be below Smiley Happy

BBYLaura
Community Manager
Plug-in | Join the conversation