Pioneer
0 Kudos

Why does the US site have better cameras available than in Canada

Can someone explain why the US site Bestbuy.com have way more better cameras and camera packages available on their website than the Canadian site bestbuy.ca.

Legendary Oracle

Re: Why does the US site have better cameras available than in Canada

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the best Buy Community Plug-in forum @Steeprock .Smiley Happy

In my opinion, the main reason that our sister store in the South has a larger selection, is probably due to a significantly larger consumer market.

Keep in mind, there are items available in Canada, that are not available at our Sister store, South of the border.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Pioneer
0 Kudos

What about the Sony A7RII? Why is this camera not available? It is a mainsteam camara and is available at **competitor**.

Legendary Oracle

From what I noted on Sony Canada's web site, this model is available to order in Canada, through an "Authorised Partner" web site, for now. I am inquiring if it's available as special order for you, hang in there.

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle

Things to consider....

• does the US manufacturer discount the product to Canadian retailers?
  • is their warranty coverage for US products purchased by a Canadian in Canada?  Where you do you need to mail that product if there is a problem?
  • those are US prices.  After currency, taxes, and credit card surcharges.... add about 50% to those prices for a Canadian!
    -.7488 currency means you need to add 34% to those prices today.
    -add about 3% average for credit card foreign fees.  Paying by cash.... you need to add your currency exchange rates.
    -for those hopping across the border in person... what are the local state taxes?  7%  10%?  Don't forget to budget for gas and hotel accommodations.
    -is there duty on electronics?  Is it over you duty-free allowance?  Will the border guard charge you a fee?

I do purchase things from the US... however today, I find many things cheaper inside Canada.

Legendary Oracle

[ Edited ]

Hi there @Steeprock , I checked into the availability of the Sony camera and I just received a response. Sadly, I have to inform you that it will not be available at Best Buy in the near future.  If you need this model, you will have to order it directly through the Sony Canada web site.

Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

From my past experience, higher end Sony cameras are not available - in Canada at least - at consumer electronics stores (such as BB) but only at specialized photography stores.  A few years ago when Sony came out with A33 and A55; while A33 was available at BB, A55 was not and I had to order elsewhere.

Highlighted
Pioneer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the info. Just as I thought. Another **competitor** in disguise. I was in a Best Buy in the US and was blown away by the selection on pro equipment. And add-ons! Very sad. It seems that Best Buy in Canada has missed the boat. I'm off to **competitor** I quess. Thanks again.