The Captain

Re: How does a Product Exchange Plan work?

Please note that this information is no longer valid our Product Exchange Plan has changed significantly.

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Good point @Bre0935 Smiley Happy 

For the most up-to-date information on Geek Squad Protection Plans, follow the link! 

BBYJuby
Community Coordinator
Plug-in | Join the conversation

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Scout
0 Kudos

can I trade/exchange my iphone 6 (which I bought last december 2014 at Future Shop) for an Iphone 6s Plus at Best Buy? My Iphone 6 is under 2 year contract with Rogers, I want to retain or continue my contract with Rogers, I just want to upgrade my Iphone 6 to Iphone 6s Plus. Is it possible? How much would it cost me?

Legendary Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

Your best point of contact is with Rogers.  You ultimately signed on for a device subsidy through Rogers, and as far as I am aware, Rogers won't buy you out of your contract or take the phone back.  That means you will still owe whatever is left in the agreement from when you got your iPhone last year.  Because of the two year agreement limit set out by the CRTC, whatever amount was subsidized for you will have been spread out over the two years.  Depending on how much you were subsidized will affect how much that monthly amount is. 

The point I'm trying to make here is that you will still owe that amount, regardless of what you do with the phone, and further to that you will then owe however much you are able to be subsidized for on the new phone, as well as any fees associated with cancelling your current agreement (if any) AND any fees associated with activating a new phone.  Granted, the iPhone 6 you got last year is effectively yours, even though you still owe money.  You can sell it once you get your new phone for a decent amount (iPhones have great resale value) providing it's in good condition, which will minimize that cost.  If you have another older smartphone at home, it might be worth switching to that, selling the iPhone 6 and then using that money towards buying the iPhone 6S Plus outright.  The difference in the amount would probably be less than what it would cost you on a two year agreement anyway and it would free you from being on a contract.

Ultimately, it all depends on how much you want to owe Rogers so that you can have the latest and greatest.  The larger that bill becomes, the less mobility you will have, say if you see another, better deal from another provider and the longer you will be shackled to Rogers.  Owing the company more money also affects your ability to negotiate new and better items, because your leverage to leave the company is diminished, and as that bill gets higher and higher, it also becomes less likely that you will have the money available to buy that out should you decide you want to go elsewhere (and the company knows that), which affects your negotiating power to get better services if you feel you're paying too much.

Just some things to consider.   

JB

Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

Hi

When did the policy for the PEP changed ?

How do I know which plan I have ?

Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

Hi I bought a phone by pep in goldmandstreet florida a mint phone for my son and it has got bluetooth I wanted to bluetooth songs to the mint phone but it doesn't want to can I exchange it for another phone
Community Manager
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi @chanel, you mentioned Florida so I'm wondering if you might want the Best Buy US forum? We're all the way in Canada here Smiley Happy 

In case you are in Canada too, I would suggest connecting with Geek Squad at your local store or via the number at that link to speak about your service plan, as it all depends on your unique contract. 

Same goes for you @Buhric, give Geek Squad a call and they can get you all the details you need. Please note that the terms of the service plan you entered would not have changed Smiley Happy 

BBYJuby
Community Coordinator
Plug-in | Join the conversation

Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

What happens if your covered phone is damaged?

Is my PEP void/wasted?

I assumed that I can just purchase any phone at Best Buy and transfer my PEP to it. 

However, now I am being told they are going to adjust my covered value regarding my plan based on my current phone, and not my orginal phone I insured with when I first got my PEP.

Please Assist.

The Captain

Yes, You can purchase a new phone from best buy and transfer your PEP to the new phone you bought as long as the phone is the same tier structure. For the coverage it only covers the value of replacement of the current phone that's covered under the plan. 

- Kevin Patrick
(Mobile Manager, Edmonton South Common #934)
Anything posted by me is helpful information (my personal opinion) and is not the opinion or view of Best Buy. It May contain information and links from other blogs/forums/websites.