Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle

KEYone

[ Edited ]

Just announced!  Passport under android?  Wish the screen was bigger for my aging eyes...

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: KEYone

Nice ad, but I'm afraid it's too litlte to late for Blackberry.  This should have been introduced five years ago.

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Looks nice, I agree with @SonicBoom, it's a late bloomer, but better late than never as they say.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BlackBerry is more of a software company these days anyhow. They did a good thing with Android (Love my PRIV).

I don't understand the logic of disparaging one cell phone manufacturer over another. How is more choice in the market a bad thing?

Also, people have been saying "too little too late" since BlackBerry 10 came out and the company is still around and doing better than it has in years. They likely won't ever be at the top of the cell phone hardware game ever gain, but that focus has shifted anyway. They are absolutely KILLING it in the mobile security market.

JB

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Part of my reaction is due to anger and frustration that another Canadian company has taken missteps and become to cocky to lose its foothold in the industry.

Sure, this may be good news for some, but Blackberry was on top of the market and had a head-start in the smartphone market, but became too cocky and lazy and gave that market up to Apple and Samsung.

I know many colleagues who work and used to work at Blackberry and I think the whole company was mismanaged.  The only people I know now who use Blackberry are my Blackberry colleagues and a few people who work for the federal government.

I would proudly carry a Blackberry if I thought that the product had a future.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I don't think you're going to find anyone who thinks the company was managed well. They didn't innovate and they got left behind.

BlackBerry 10 was probably one of the best mobile operating systems I have ever used, but it never gained traction because of the way the company managed itself leading up to its launch. People lost faith and nobody bought in, thus creating the vicious circle of people not getting on board because there are no apps, but no developers to make them because there isn't enough of a consumer base to justify the investment.

The focus has now shifted to software. They've outsourced their hardware to a third party to save on costs, while making their focus securing what is inside the phone. I'm really happy with what they did with Android, and more and more companies are using the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to manage their mobile security requirements (especially with their BYOD management options).

I'm still a believer in the company, but it's important to manage expectations. The company appears to have realized it lost its place in the sun when it comes to hardware, and have moved their focus to the software. Now, it's possible to bring the BB experience, in one facet or another, to just about any phone on the market. Now, companies can manage their business devices using BB security, regardless of what device someone is using. Samsungs and iPhones can be secured in the same manner as any BB phone ever could using their Enterprise server.

To each their own, but I will continue to support BlackBerry until I can't.

JB

Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Oh Blackberry - how I miss the good old days, but since the release of the Playbook in 2011 (I worked that launch day) I knew it was all downhill from there. From an all-time high of $230/share they now struggle to keep it over the cost of a footlong sub. 

Poor management, device launched and advertisement, in and out of warranty support, numerous software issues the list goes on.

I love my Priv (most of the time), had loved my Q10 and Bold before that, I will also, like @Juice0904 continue to support them until I can't but the colossal mismanagement of this company has just been mind blowing.

Everytime I'd browse crackberry forums there'd be someone saying enterprise this and that - and I sit here asking myself, why not both? It absolutely blows my mind that out of all tech companies the one at the pinnacle of cybersecurity, STILL to this day does not offer a cloud service for the average person. Apple - made more in software revenue a few years ago than Blackberry did as a whole - so this whole 'software company' shift talk seems moot as far as i'm concerned.

I delved into a bit of Blackberry's enterprise software; I had purchased a BBM Protected subscription service - prior to whatsapp turning on encryption that is, just to see what it was like. It was probably one of the most complicated, and convoluted systems I have ever used, no wonder it was enterprise only. Your average person would be annoyed after 5 minutes of getting it to work. The price was decent though.

It will not surprise me if they eventually downsize to a company of maybe ~1000 people and only focus on security products for enterperises, as they are still not making any money. We will see what their next quarterly earnings report will show.

As for the phone, it will likely be a 'meh' launch like the rest of them, the Priv was supposed to be the flagship phone and Chen said the company was to sell 3-5 million phones, don't even get me started on that launch and then it didn't even break a million (no surprsie there). And I doubt this one will, hope for the best though.

Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627