Cell Phones

Visitor
maritimer
Accepted Solution

Koodo: Change phone

I recently purchased a Samsung phone from the Koodo webstore and got the $25 plan. I quite like their service but the phone is crap. I miss more calls than ever because the ringer volume is garbage. It`s got to the point where I just keep the phone switched off at work and hope people leave me a message on voicemail.

I called them last night about getting another phone. They said my only option would be to buy another phone from the webstore or go to a dealer like Futureshop. So yup, I`m stuck with a lemon of a phone that no one will ever buy from me. I paid the $75 for the phone and will now have to pay $125 to the "better" Motorola w385. Can`t say that I`m happy about all of this, but I guess I should have reviewed the crappy Samsung before buying it.

My question is, if I buy the Motorola for $125 from Futureshop, do I need to let them know I already have an active plan and cell number with Koodo? I don`t want them running another credit check and starting a new account when I already have one in good standing. Should I just take an invoice which has my details and show the Futureshop sales rep?

As for the Samsung, I guess I could try and sell it on (competitor). Better than leaving it to gather dust at home.

Thanks.

Visitor
BellainCell

Maritimer,   I should start by asking whether you are wit...

This is a section of Koodo's FAQ on www.koodomobile.com:

<i>*What is the 30-day money back guarantee? If for some reason you’re not getting the results you want, Koodo offers a 30-day money back guarantee on your mobile phone. You’ll get whatever you paid for your phone back and your Tab will be reversed – no questions asked. Any other charges, however, will be your responsibility. Return your phone in its original condition with all original packaging and parts, along with a copy of your receipt, to the place of purchase. Accessories are not eligible for returns or refunds unless they’re defective. For example: 1.Koodo Shop purchases must be returned to any Koodo Shop. 2.Retail partner purchases must be returned to the location where you purchased it. 3.Online purchases should be returned via mail and can be initiated by calling 1-866-99-KOODO. We will send you a self-addressed envelope to ship the mobile phone back to us.</i>

Maritimer,

I should start by asking whether you are within your initial 30-day satisfaction guarantee period with Koodo?  If so, you can definitely exchange the phone.  I see that you purchased the samsung phone from the Koodo webstore.

If you are outside of the 30 days and you wish to purchase a new Koodo Mobile device, you can hop into any Future Shop and purchase the phone.  A cellular expert will also be able to assist you in doing the change of esn's - just make sure to bring the old handset into the store for reference.  Since you are already an existing account holder of Koodo Mobile, a second credit check will not be necessary to change phones on the account.  A charge of $25 does apply if you wish to have a cell expert do this change for you BUT you can avoid that charge by using the tab redemption tool, which is located at http://www.KoodoMobile.com/selfserve.

If you do not have a self serve account set up yet, go ahead and create one before heading to the store :smileyhappy:

If you have any other questions, hit me up!

Blessings, Bella

Jonika Evelyn :smileyvery-happy:
Cellular Expert - Communications
Future Shop 067
Downtown Toronto
jonikae@gmail.com
Visitor
maritimer

Yes I have a self serve account. I just logged in and hit...

Yes I have a self serve account. I just logged in and hit the activation page which is where I assume any new phone I purchase would need to be activated? Anyways, I was greet with

[quote]

You cannot proceed with this activation because your account has a Spending Cap, which only allows you to have 1 mobile phone on your account. The new mobile phone will need to be activated as its own account with a different customer.

[/quote]

So if I want a replacement phone, I`m forced to open a new account with them and another credit check.

Thanks for your help anyway, I appreciate it. I`m cancelling my account with them on Monday, I`ve never known a company that makes something so simple so difficult. Not sure what I`ll do with the phone because I purchased the thing without TAB, perhaps use it at a door stop or something:smileyhappy:

Visitor
BellainCell

Hm... I am very sure that you do not need to create a new...

Hm... I am very sure that you do not need to create a new account just to change the phone. I have completed a few esn changes at my store in Toronto, so if you are having difficulty getting the new phone onto the account, just talk to a cell expert at futureshop, we'll be glad to help you. The last thing anyone wants is to lose their cell phone service over something like an esn change :smileyhappy:

I wish you were able to come see me at my store, i would be happy to assist you :smileywink:

Blessings, Bella

Jonika Evelyn :smileyvery-happy:
Cellular Expert - Communications
Future Shop 067
Downtown Toronto
jonikae@gmail.com
Visitor
maritimer

I`m going to head back to Futureshop tomorrow. Ok so what...

[ Edited ]

I`m going to head back to Futureshop tomorrow. Ok so what is an esn change?

What do I need to tell the sales/cell guy at the store so this all goes smoothly? and finally do I need to call Koodo when this is all done or can the Futureshop rep do everything? I really don`t want to have to call Koodo again, I`ve had enough of them right now!! I just want to leave the store with the new phone working, on the same old account and same phone number.

With my old gsm phone(s) it was easy as switching the SIM card, well it used to be but that has perhaps changed.

Thank you again. This has proved really challenging, especially the Koodo customer service. Unfortunately Toronto is too far for a Sunday drive - I`m in Dieppe, NB.:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by maritimer on 10-25-2008 05:50 PM
Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Expert (Cell Phones)
Krypto

Maritimer,   The ESN is the electronic serial number.  On...

Maritimer,

The ESN is the electronic serial number.  On Telus, Koodo, Bell, etc. phones, this number is directly associated with the phone and needs to be handled differently.  Your old phone was likely with Rogers or Fido.  Only Rogers and Fido have SIM cards, and your account info was associated with that SIM card meaning that you could stick your SIM card in any Rogers or Fido phone and have it work.  On your Koodo phone (and the other cell phone providers), it isn't as easy.  The ESN from your old phone needs to be removed from your account and the ESN from your new phone will need to be added.  This is what the activation process takes care of.

Don't worry, Future Shop can indeed take care of this for you.  It typically just takes a few minutes to set up, and there is no need to set up a new account.

Good luck!

If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking on the White Star.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.