Visitor
bluesguitar16

Koodo Tab

Hi,

Shortly I'll be cancelling my Koodo Mobile service and am well aware I need to pay off my remaining Koodo Tab. I know when you cancel contracts it is not uncommon for you to continue to recieve and pay for service for one month there after. I'm wondering if it is the same when you cancel of the Koodo tab or if the day you cancel are you finsihed with the company? And am I able to cancel at a Koodo store or do I have to cancel over the phone?

Thanks!

PS. Also if anyone knows are you charged for incoming texts (with Rogers) when you subscribe to my 5 since it includes text but isnt a straight text pack??

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
quickinferno

Re: Koodo Tab

If you're on a monthly plan, you probably have the last bill to receive. The bill should be pro-rated. so if you only used half a month, your bill should be for half a month - I think.

You can cancel over the phone.

Yes, you will get charged for incoming texts from senders that are not in your my5 since you don't have a text package.

Question for you, why Rogers. This I am curious, as they are the most expensive carrier right now with the provincial regulation fee? that no one else has

Visitor
bluesguitar16

I'm not that up on technology but I really want an iPhone which is why I'm getting off Koodo and Im thinking of going with Rogers based on good things Ive heard. I didn't like Koodo service at all, which as far as I understand is Telus? Is Bell a better bet? Any advice is appreciated. On a side note I have no interest in the iPhone 4g becuase the differences on the phones means nothing at all to me, I just want all my music and phone in one space and I love iPod technology.

Thanks for any advice!

Visitor
bluesguitar16

... plus if you have any plan suggestions I'm looking for any amount of day time minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends, 5 five (or 10, im a student) so i can call home long distance, voice mail, caller id, and a decent amount of texts

mtrump

[ Edited ]

First, you cannot compare your current Koodo experience with iPhone on Telus, because iPhone runs on Telus/Bell's new HSPA network while Koodo phones are CDMA (I've heard that Koodo will be launching HSPA service soon.)

Second, most iPhone plans are at least $50 per month with a 3-year contract.  With all the options you are seeking, it can easily run you more than $50 (unless you can find less expensive student plans, but you are still looking at $40+).  As a student, do you foresee yourself having difficulty in paying $50 per month for next 3 years?  There are almost no turning back once you sign on the dotted line. 

Alternatively, you can now pay for an iPhone at full price at Apple directly, and go month to month with a provider of your choice.  The advantage is that you are getting an unlocked device and don't have to be bounded by a contract as you can cancel at anytime.  The disadvantage is you have to fork out $500+ an iPhone initially.

You will have to establish your budget first, then determine what options are first priority, second priority, nice to have but not necessity, etc. 

Now as far as iPhone service, you basically have the following options:  (I assume Toronto)

• Rogers
  • Fido (part of Rogers)
  • Bell
  • Virgin (part of Bell)
  • Solo (part of Bell; you have to buy phone outright and subscribe service separately)
  • Telus

Each of them has its pros and cons.  I personally like Virgin because you can include CID+VM as an option for the $50 plan, and you get to use unlimited wifi for Starbucks.  But it's all depending on what options are important to you.  It's all depend on where you are located, how much you can afford to pay, what phone options you want, and how much flexibility down the road regarding contracts you are willing to take.

Another advice - once you have your iPhone, get Skype app and make your LD calls over wifi using Skype - it's much cheaper than calling directly on the phone.

Contributor

Sorry to hear you are cancelling your Koodo account.

With Koodo all you have to do is pay what is remaining on your Tab and the bill you will receive once you have cancelled (usage up to the time you cancelled).

You can cancel by phone (free call) *611. You can't cancel at a Koodo store.

Koodo - Good call
mtrump

Hey there Koodo_expert... since you are here, would you happen to know when Koodo is launching HSPA service? 

Contributor

The Nokia 3710 our first SIM based phone was announced today and should be in stores by end of next week.

Koodo - Good call
quickinferno

If I am not mistaken, Rogers is the most expensive carrier as they charge the State regulatory fee.

I don't recommend that you combine both your ipod and phone into one device, unless it's a device with a lot of battery life.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.