Thinking about buying a PC? What you need to know before buying!

by Vendor on ‎09-02-2011 02:06 PM - last edited on ‎11-29-2011 04:27 PM by Moderator (Retired)

We’ve been travelling across Canada the past few weeks with Intel’s Visibly Smart tour, meeting thousands of Canadians and giving them insight into some of our best, latest technologies. A few things we’re getting questions on is what is the difference between 1st Generation Intel Core processors and 2nd Generation Core processors. Read on as we discuss core processors and the difference between first and second generation.

With every new generation of our processors there are great improvements from which we all benefit. The downside though is that you sometimes need a decoder ring to understand what you are buying. So first off – this is what 2nd Generation Intel Core Processor Family looks like:

2011 2nd Gen Intel Badge.jpg

And this is what the 1st Generation Intel Core Processor Family badges look like:

small.jpg

If you’re shopping on the web, you might not find these badges to guide you. To tell the difference online, all you have to do is look at the number in the description. If the system is 1st Generation, you’ll see a code that says “i3, i5 or i7” followed by a three digit number. Second generation systems are identified by “i3, i5 or i7” followed by a four digit number. Why is this important? Well if you’re like me, you want the latest technology when you buy a new device so you don’t have to upgrade for at least three years.

WiDi – make sure your system is enabled

One other question we’re getting on the tour – “is WiDi in every laptop?” First a bit of background, “WiDi” is short for Wireless Display. It’s the ability to stream music, movies and more from your laptop to your WiDi-enabled TV. You will need to buy the D-Link or Netgear WiDi adapter.  With Second Generation Core Intel processors, that streaming happens in HD and full 1080p.

This link shows you the systems that are WiDi enabled. If the system is 1st Generation Intel Core Family  (3 digits) then it streams in 780p. A few extra notes about WiDi...

Make sure your system is WiDi enabled if you’re looking for that capability. Some manufacturers do not include WiDi to save costs, and because it’s built into the hardware, you can’t add it later. WiDi is a Windows based technology only. Running a Mac? There’s good news here too – Apple makes its own streaming product called Apple TV to get you streaming.

My hope is that the future of all Intel Core Processor Family PCs are available with WiDi to make shopping a little less complex. If you have any questions please let me know, I'm happy to help.