Computer & Laptop Accessories

Visitor
Question164376

I am interested in the WD My Book Essentials 2TB Externa...

I am interested in the WD My Book Essentials 2TB External Hard Drive (WDBACW0020HBK-NESN). Your website says the HD has a 5400 RPM. Google the RPM for this drive and almost everywhere else it says it is a 7200 RPM. Which one it is as it is critical to me
Visitor
JouMoer

Re: I am interested in the WD My Book Essentials 2TB Externa...

I am interested in knowing what the correct spec is as well. I have a Bell 6400 receiver and have a HD attached so that I can use it as a PVR.  I have a 500 gig WD My Book and would like to use a 2 TB, however, the HD is supposed to be 7200 RPM.

The 500 gig WD is 7200 RPM but Future Shop in the store and on the website says the 2 TB WD is only 5400 RPM. Everyone else on the web seem to say it is 7200 RPM. The Western Digital website does not help as they are quiet on the HD speed. Future Shop is good about returning things but I don't really like to do this. If I buy something I would like to know that it will work properly.

Visitor
JouMoer

I guess no one at Future Shop can explain why they rate the hard drive speed for the WD My Book Essentials 2TB External Hard Drive (WDBACW0020HBK-NESN) at 5400 RPM both in the store and on their website while most everyone else rates it at 7200 RPM.

Visitor
doktoralbert
Job Title: Associate
Store: Yonge & Eglinton

[ Edited ]

Their both guesses. The My Book Essentials line of external hard drives likely are powered by WD's Green line of hard drives. WD refuses to list the RPM range of these drives. The only thing I know is that it's somewhere between 5400 and 7200 RPM. I've read somewhere that it's closer to 5400 than 7200. Nobody knows for sure unless you work behind a locked door at Western Digital.

My suggestion would be to buy it, try it out, and see if it works.

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Drax86

[ Edited ]

The green drives are an intelipower system where the speed can vary from 5400-7200 depending on work load

Visitor
OpenSource

It's been my experience over the years that with most drives it totaly depends on what your loading at the time. if your moving 10 files  at a GB  each vs 1000 files totaling 10gb, the 10 files will write to the drive way way faster than it takes the little files to write to the same drive. easy mental way to think of it is the difference between the same song's file size as a .wav, or .mp3 type of thing. so the drive would prob write the 10 files closer to the 7200 rpm state.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.