Computer & Laptop Accessories

Visitor
Question151585

I'm looking to buy a printer, thinking canon all in one ...

I'm looking to buy a printer, thinking canon all in one with fax...I currently have a Kodak, can you tell me if there's much difference between the two? Cost of Ink, quality, etc. ?? Thanks.
Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
XL

Re: I'm looking to buy a printer, thinking canon all in one ...

Think about how many pages you plan to print.  I purchased an Epson multi-function ink printer.  After a dozen pages, I was kinda surprised how quickly I was draining my black cartridge.  Instead of buying a second cartridge, I decided to scoop up a laser for about the price of a few catridges.  Since then, I noticed color laser printers have gotten cheap as well.

Finally do you have a laptop?  Seriously consider a wifi-printer.  The convenience is worth the premium.

Also do you have an iPad or iPhone?  Look for printers with "AirPrint" features.

Some printers to consider....

XL

SKU: 10181760

Duplex - Double your print output and halve your paper costs. The Eco Mode features a one touch Eco Button, which conveniently serves as your default setting once activated, and reduces paper consumption with Duplex printing, 2 or 4-up printing and a toner save setting.

Trusted Expert
Atomic

Are we talking about laser printers or inkjets?

I own a Canon all-in-one laser printer and am very happy with it.  Previously I had an HP4S laser which was built like a tank.  I love that printer and it lasted me many many years. 

Alas, it fell ill to the out-of-date driver syndrome.  That, and also I wanted an all-in-one.

Currently my Canon works fine and I use it regularly every day.  The original toner cartridge lasts about 2-3 yrs depending on your usage, but I expect a new cartridge to last longer than that.

I really like the top feeder too.  I scan many documents so it is very handy.

I would recommend laser over inkjet -- unless you are doing a kid's science project or something like that.

XL

[ Edited ]

I think the OP was looking at ink-jet.... however, I wanted to also consider laser when the cost of consumables becomes a concern.

I can't believe how cheap printers are today compared to 30 years ago.

Anyone getting one of these?

http://community.futureshop.ca/t5/media/v1/gallerypage/user-id/86725/image-id/15155i61514E500A5DCDD2

Trusted Expert
Atomic

Yeah, I would one of those Makerbots, but I don't have any hermit crabs to make shells for right now.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.