Visitor
Question160674

MAC compatible printer

[ Edited ]

Im looking for an affordable printer compatible with a Mac. One that has affordable inkjet cartridges as I am a student and need to print off assignments, etc on a regular basis. What do you recommend?

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
XL

Re: MAC compatible printer

Does it need to be ink?  You can get much better savings with a laser.  Some lasers are priced the same as a set of ink cartridges, but last much longer.

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
Drax86

I agree with XL you may be better off with a laser.  With ink jets you are either buying a very expensive printer that has cheap ink, or your buying a very cheap printer with expensive ink.

Tanarus

[ Edited ]

To answer the other half of the question, pretty much every printer Future Shop sells nowadays includes support for Apple computers. You'd actually be harder pressed to find a printer that is not Mac compatible.

Ken R.
Tanarus Computer Solutions, Orangeville Ontario
Former ConnectPro Computer Technician
XL

Note if you have a tablet... consider looking for a wireless model that supports "AirPrint" for seamless integration with many Apple devices.

Contributor
geogolem

[ Edited ]

Honestly, I reccomend the HP Officejet 8600 series.. Uusally they are sale for great savings and the ink cartridges have a great yield. It is also jam packed with features...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-officejet-pro-wireless-all-in-one-inkjet-p...

If you prefer the "Plus" model futureshop doesnt carry it.

Sometimes the Premium model which comes with a ton of other extras goes on sale for the same price as the Plus model.

When I got it a few months ago HP also had a program that when you buy an elligible printer (the plus and premium models are) you can ship (they pay for shipping) any old printer (it doesnt even need to work) to them and they will send you a cheque for 75$...

It looks like they still have something similar: http://www.hp.com/canada/promotions/commercial/ipg/owto/en/

Also be careful where you buy ink. I alwys buy at futureshop or (competitor); however I make sure to look around and price beat if i see it cheaper. Sometimes the difference in prices from stores is large and they fluctuate regularly. i.e. today futureshop is cheaper by a longshot but next week somewhere else is and futureshop's price has gone up.. Just keep an eye.. Also with HP inkjets like this, try to buy the XL cartridges since they are much better value.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.