Visitor
TerryHe
Accepted Solution

can tv tuner alone allow pc to watch tv?

can tv tuner alone allow pc to watch tv?

or does it still require users to have tv subscription ( cable, digital etc)?

i live in apartment without cable subscription, but i would to watch tv on my laptop.

i am not familiar with tv tuner please help

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
Atomic

Re: can tv tuner alone allow pc to watch tv?

[ Edited ]

In theory, yes is is totally possible to watch TV using a TV tuner and computer.   However, you have to make sure everything is compatible and that your TV tuner is ATSC to catch the HD airwaves rather than a cable tuner. 

You will also need an antenna.

You also have to make sure you have the proper inputs and outputs on your laptop/computer and your TV tuner, but yes it is possible to make this work.  You can buy some video cards that have the TV tuner built-in so you can watch TV on your laptop.  Reception will totally depend on your setup, but theoretically, the answer to your question is yes.

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
XL

[ Edited ]

Yes, it can be done.  I've been using the Hauppauge 950q tv tuner on my laptops for 3 years now.

• old laptops may have problems with the huge bandwidth of an HD signal.
  • reception will vary.  Having the antenna in the window that faces the broadcast towers will yield the best results.
  • is your apartment "concrete"?  this can really limit indoor antenna performance.  The window is best.  I found walls can really mess up reception.
  • placing antennas in some apartments may be a problem for some strata's
  • the 950q comes with a very thing antenna that will be hardly noticeable by any strata
  • there is no monthly subscription
  • you will be limited to local channels.  In Vancouver, I have CBC, CTV, GlobalTV, OmniTV and a few others depending my location.
Visitor
TerryHe

thank you for the information.

i checked out the product that you suggest.

i think 50~90 bucks is acceptable, but it is also depends on the number of channels available.

actually i live in vancouver island, do you have happen to know how many channel or what channels would be on air boardcast in comox valley??

XL

[ Edited ]

TerryHe wrote:

actually i live in vancouver island, do you have happen to know how many channel or what channels would be on air boardcast in comox valley??

This was discussed in another thread.  Run your address at this link....

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Again the results are based on having your antenna in a window that faces the broadcast tower.  You will get better coverage in a tall building that is not objected by another tower.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.