Computer & Laptop Accessories

Visitor
Question57290

how do i get internet to my daughters new PS3....i have a modem with internet cable way upstairs for my computer

how do i get internet to my daughters new PS3....i have a modem with internet cable way upstairs for my computer
Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Tanarus

You will need a router of some sort, to take your interne...

You will need a router of some sort, to take your internet service, and route it to your computer and your PS3.

If you're planning on running a cable down to the PS3, any router will do; even wireless routers have four ports on the back to allow up to four different devices to connect with an ethernet cable. Since the PS3 has a wireless card built right into it, though, you can pick up a Wireless G router that can take your internet service and transmit it wirelessly to your PS3. While a wireless setup is definitely much more convenient than a wired one, walls, floors, interference, and the distance between the router and the PS3 can all slow down the connection and cause lag in games. With a wired connection, you've got a physical connection to the internet, so signal strength isn't a worry.

Finally, if you're leery about installing the wireless router or having difficulties, Future Shop has an In-Home technician who can come right to your house, get everything hooked up and properly working for you.

Hope that helps!

Ken R.
Tanarus Computer Solutions, Orangeville Ontario
Exalted Expert
Snapshot

I still have yet to put my PS3 on the net, I will one day.

I still have yet to put my PS3 on the net, I will one day.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.