Computer & Laptop Accessories

Visitor
Question50064

what cable do i need to use my TV as a monitor for my laptop

what cable do i need to use my TV as a monitor for my laptop
Exalted Expert
Credible_Chris

Setting up a TV to use as your monitor is not generally a...

[ Edited ]

Setting up a TV to use as your monitor is not generally as hard as some think, however, if you're not going to be using an LCD or Plasma, the picture is not going to be all that great. To get started, you need to be able to make a compatible connection from your computer to your TV. In the simplest case, your connection from the computer should match the connection on your TV. For example, if your TV has a VGA input and your computer has a VGA output, you need just a cable to connect both together. If there isn't a match of video inputs to outputs, it might still be possible to make a connection. 

Examine you laptop for available monitor connections. Depending on your computer's graphic capabilities, you should be able to identify one or more of the following: a 15-pin VGA output, a DVI connection, or an S-Video output. Your computer could support one, two, or all of the connections listed. If you are unsure, refer to the video section of your computer's user manual.  Next, you will need to identify the type of television you have. It will be either an analog or digital TV. If you own an analog television, look for an S-Video input. If you own a digital television, look for an S-Video, 15-pin VGA, component video, or DVI input. Many of the newer televisions, such as Plasma, DLP, or LCD, should have a PC compatible 15-pin VGA input.

Finally, we need to find a matching connection between the two. If you have a VGA or DVI match, use that for the best image quality and performance. If you have a component connection on your TV and a VGA output on your computer, choose those connections. Use S-Video as a last resort if you have no other choice, or are not as concerned about the video quality of your connection.

1. Connecting with S-video:

To make this connection, you will need the following:

• A computer with a S-Video output, or a VGA to S-Video adaptor
  • A TV with a S-Video input
  • A S-video cable
  • A 1/8" to Left/Right RCA cable (for sound)
  • A computer monitor (for setup purposes if needed)

2. Coonecting with VGA/DVI, you'll need the following:

To make a connection with a 15-pin VGA or DVI cable, you will need the following:

• A 15-pin VGA or DVI output on your computer (All PC's should have this)
  • A 15-pin VGA or DVI input on your television
  • A 15-pin VGA or DVI cable
  • A 1/8" to Left/Right RCA cable
  • A computer monitor (for setup, if needed)

3. Connecting with Component Video, note that you need a component video capacble graphics card for this to work.

To make this connection possible, you must have the following:

• A digital TV with a component video input
  • A 15-pin VGA output on your computer
  • A high resolution capable VGA to component video transcoder or bundled component video accessory cable (A transcoder is a device that transforms RGB signals into component video signals)
  • A 15-pin VGA cable
  • A component video cable
  • A 1/8" to L/R RCA cable
  • A computer monitor (for setup)

I hope this helps

Message Edited by Credible_Chris on 11-08-2008 09:32 AM