Computers & Laptops

Announcements

Best Buy and Future Shop are consolidating as Best Buy. This means the products, services, and features you have come to expect from Future Shop and FutureShop.ca will now be available at Best Buy and BestBuy.ca. We have plans to invest up to $200 million to build a leading multi-channel customer experience on the Best Buy brand.

Visit futureshop.ca for more details & click here to learn more about what this means for the Tech Yeah Community.

Please visit the Best Buy Plug-in Computers forum to get your questions answered.

Visitor

Buying a New Laptop - Recommendations?

[ Edited ]

Hi!  I'm a first year university student looking for a new laptop that won't kill my back while I'm carrying it around the campus and will last until I'm done in about five years.  I've been looking into getting a Netbook lately, but I know that's not really what I've been wanting.  I want a proper laptop with all the features (optical drive, lots of space for music and other media and notes, etc).

What I'm looking for is something that's light weight, has a long battery life (like "up to 6 hours" or longer, maybe?), and won't kill my budget (no more than $700).

I would love some suggestions on what you think is good and am open to anything.

Thanks!:robotvery-happy:

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador

Re: Buying a New Laptop - Recommendations?

I don't usually suggest them, but given what you're looking for, I'd actually recommend a MacBook. Though it's a bit above your price range, it's quite portable and not too heavy, has an optical drive and enough space for media and schoolwork, and touts a ten hour battery life. Most laptops running Windows have a battery that will last around three to four hours, and a Windows laptop that has the battery life you're looking for will be a netbook, which won't have an optical drive. Apple laptops are also well-known for their reliability and staying power. The only real concern is if you need to run Windows applications, in which case you'd need to spend even more to get a copy of Windows on the MacBook.

Ken R.
Tanarus Computer Solutions, Orangeville Ontario

Been a fun run, everyone!
Exalted Expert

You definitely don't want a netbook, you need something that will be comfortable to work with at school and at home.  Also it seems you want something that will be useful for 5 years.

I would suggest a laptop with around a 13 or 14 inch screen as the ideal compromise betwen size and portability.  Battery life is always an issue, but there are usually a few decent options around, if you don't plan on doing any intensive PC gaming on your laptop.

I like this 13.3" Acer which has a little bit of everything to keep you busy and nearly 10 hours of battery...too bad it doesn't have an optical drive... :smileysad:

For a bit more money, this other 13.3" Acer would provide a similar experience and 9 hour battery life while including an internal optical drive.  I think the latter Acer is an all-round good fit for students in general.

Let me know what you think!

[ Edited ]

There are plenty of laptops out there, but if you aren't into something flashy, don't mind spending the money, and want a laptop that will last a long time and run linux well out of the box, go with a thinkpad. Preferrably one with an intel processor and intel graphics.

Thanks...

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.