Computers & Laptops

Visitor
Question76099

Does a 3 year extended warranty on a laptop computer include battery replacement?

Does a 3 year extended warranty on a laptop computer include battery replacement?
Exalted Expert
roparadi
Job Title: Associate
Store: Head Office

Re: Does a 3 year extended warranty on a laptop computer include battery replacement?

Unfortunately not.  The battery is a specific exclusion of the Product Service Plan.
Robert Paradis
ConnectPro Online Support Expert

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
quickinferno

Re: Does a 3 year extended warranty on a laptop computer include battery replacement?

It would depend on the type of warranty you purchased. If you look in the details of the warranty, you'll find out what is covered. 

For most warranties with manufacturers, the battery is covered.

Emerging Expert
The_Texorcist
Job Title: Associate
Store: Head Office

Hi, and thank you for bringing your question to the Forum!

You appear to be getting conflicting information here, so I'll try to clarify for you. The MANUFACTURER'S warranty (one year) covers laptop batteries against physical defect, premature power loss, etc. That is entirely true. However, you were asking about EXTENDED warranty.

Now, the information that Robert gave you is completely correct... a battery is considered a consumable, and as such is NOT covered by the PSP. Further, NO common extended warranty (AppleCare, HP Customer Care, Toshiba, etc.) covers batteries, for the same reason. Now, the two exceptions to this are recall notices and obvious defect. If you BELIEVE that a battery is defective, rather than simply failing due to age, you CAN try to push to have it covered under warranty. But here's your rule of thumb... if the cycle count on the battery is in excess of 350-400, and the battery hasn't burned, melted, or otherwise shown signs of defect not caused by misuse, it WILL NOT be covered. The cycle count determines how many times a battery has been charged and discharged, and from what I have been told both by Apple AND by HP, once the cycle count exceeds one count per day, for a year, the battery WILL NOT be replaced, unless a new one is purchased.

I hope this clarifies a few things for you!

Cheers, 

Greg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg Dobson
gdobson@connectpro.ca
ConnectPro Expert - Online Support

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Snapshot

I had a Blackberry 9700 and the PSP coverage. The battery had died and they replaced it under warranty, but if it died again I would have to replace it at $60 - 80 per. I wish battery coverage was better but yes they are consumable and are expected to vary in life expectancy. Laptop batteries usually have a 3 - 5 year life span anyways, depends on usage. 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.