Computers & Laptops

Visitor
Rdawg

Does the extended warranty cover cracks in the laptop screen?

Hi I bought an extended warranty(that would last two years) back in september, I was just wondering if it covers cracks/dead pixels in the screen? I turned on the laptop today and found a line of dead pixels near the middle of the screen. Will future shop cover this?

Recognized Expert
PowerPipes
Job Title: Associate
Store: Head Office

Re: Does the extended warranty cover cracks in the laptop screen?

Hi Rdawg,

It can be a tricky thing to speak to specifics in this case without physically seeing the machine.  Cracks are a symptom of physical damage and as such are not covered by the terms of warranty or service plan.  Dead pixels on the other hand can be covered in some instances.  Best suggestion for an accurate answer your question is to bring the machine into your local store so the ConnectPro experts can have a look and physically inspect the issue.

Hope that helps

Exalted Expert
Snapshot

Are the dead pixels under the cracks?

If it comes down to them not replacing your laptop under warranty, you can always hook it up to a TV or monitor provided you have the right hook-ups. Does your laptop have an HDMI port? If so, this would be your best bet for external connection.

Visitor
Rdawg

before it was only a couple stuck pixel and what looked to be a hairline crack in the screen, however no dead pixel, now yesterday i came and turned my laptop(which hasn't been moved by the way so I dob't think i caused this, but something must've cracked it) and it now has bleeding/stuck pixels all condensed in this top right corner. what do I do!? can I use any of the money i spent towards my warrent(which was alot) towards a new screen!?

05142011159.jpg

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Tanarus

That does look like a crack to the actual display itself. Unfortunately, in cases of physical damage like these, no coverage or recourse is provided either by the manufacturer's standard warranty, or the Product Service Plan.

You can still send the laptop to the manufacturer, or have Future Shop send it to a repair depot. Either way, you'll be given a quote for the repair, and you can decide whether or not to proceed with the repair. At the very least, the laptop will still have Service Plan coverage, if anything should go wrong with the laptop in the future.

Ken R.
Tanarus Computer Solutions, Orangeville Ontario
Visitor
Rdawg

oh man, how much would a repair like this cost, already put 700 into this laptop(laptop+service plan)

XL

Forget dead pixels..... that image really makes a statement....

I love my backpack laptop carrier, but I can see keyboard scratches on my screen from the pressure applied on the lid.  Your image really has me thinking about a new means to carry my laptop.

• The cheapest option is get an external monitor and use that.  However you lose the portability of a laptop
  • This is not something to wait.... bring it in for service and possibly get a repair quote ASAP before the manufacturer discontinues the part.

Visitor
jschindler

No the psp warranty does no cover cracked screens.

Visitor
Rdawg

I think i'm going to search for the screen part online, i hear repairing it through future shop or manufacturer is far too expensive(in the hundreds) however i have found the screen for this comp at around 80-90$
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.