Visitor
iamdaleafyone
Accepted Solution

Laptop AC adapters

My wife's laptop AC power cord broke and we need to buy a new one. Would you recommend a universal adapter or the HP replacement one? Which is better for the laptop? Does it even matter?

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
XL

Re: Laptop AC adapters

[ Edited ]

I keep my main brick in the kitchen and have a universal adapter under the sofa when I run out of juice in the living room.

If it's just the AC cable going to the power brick, bring it to a computer store.  Some cables can be replaced for under $20.  If it's the cable between power brick and the laptop, then you need a new one.

The OEM is best to guarantee it works.  Universal will "generally" work.  Best to bring the laptop into the store to test before walking out the store.  An old laptop of mine would only work with the OEM.

XL

Re: Laptop AC adapters

If you want to go the universal route. Pay attention to the OEM brick wattage. Some universal bricks may have too little or too much wattage. Others have a switch to adjust the wattage.

The more expensive bricks include a USB charger. Pay attention to the amperage. Some will only charge a phone and not a tablet.
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.