Announcements

Best Buy and Future Shop are consolidating as Best Buy. This means the products, services, and features you have come to expect from Future Shop and FutureShop.ca will now be available at Best Buy and BestBuy.ca. We have plans to invest up to $200 million to build a leading multi-channel customer experience on the Best Buy brand.

Visit futureshop.ca for more details & click here to learn more about what this means for the Tech Yeah Community.

Please visit the Best Buy Plug-in Computers forum to get your questions answered.

Visitor

Laptop - What Do I Need?

I am looking to get a laptop strictly for the purpose of browsing web, checking email, video chat and being able to open multiple (3 or so) windows on a cam site and watch live cams.  I want to be able to easily connect to Wi-fi when traveling/staying in hotels.  Please advise.

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador

Re: Laptop - What Do I Need?

What you describe uses very little CPU resources.  You can get nearly any laptop (avoid netbooks) to do what you want to do.

• most laptops have a webcam
  • I think all laptops have wifi
  • ideally test the multi-windows cam site to ensure it works well.

The only weakness I can see is your hotel when travelling.

• some hotel rooms have deadzones.  Small devices (eg netbooks and tablets) will find these deadzones more easily than laptops
  • how fast is hotel wifi?  I use SpeedTest and/or Shaw Speed Test to  ensure I have something over 2 Mbps before trying video.  5 Mbps is better
  • will the hotel wifi be overloaded at night by too many others using video?
  • personally I carry a portable wifi hotspot when the hotel wifi is overloaded and I need to get my work done.  Warning using a cellular mobile hotspots can add up (expeically video), so I use Roam Mobility with a large data plan when travelling in the states.

Visitor

Thanks so much for your answer.

I had been thinking of purchasing a laptop around the $500 range.

I had picked a few favorites, including the following:

- HP, Quad Core, 750 GB Hard drive, 6 GB Ram

- Asus, 2 Core, 640 GB Hard drive, 8 GB Ram

I get the feeling from your answer that these choices may be overkill for my intended use?

What would you recommend - as a minimum for the Hard drive and Ram size?

Thanks again for your help!

I feel a bit lost when it comes to this stuff!

Keep your budget around $500 for a decent machine to grow with.

Get the HP quad-core for power and time savings. Might be handy for those videos.

Get the ASUS dual core for battery life, important when travelling.
Visitor

Taking your advice!

Thanks for your help.

I appreciate it!

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.