Visitor
Snoopy08

Laptop warranty

What parts does a laptop warranty cover? The salesman at our local Futureshop store says that the display and power supply are only covered for 90 days on all laptops. I checked the Gateway site and they don't mention any exclusions in their warranty statement, just 1 year limited warranty. I know that any accidental damage isn't covered. Could someone clear this up. Thanks.
Trusted Expert
Dave

Re: Laptop warranty

[ Edited ]

The 90 Days is something Future Shop salespeople are confused about. Laptop manufacturers generally cover all components that come with the laptop for the entire 1 Year warranty. Some sales people claim it's 90 days to make the extended warranty look better.

Next time a salesperson claims that accessories are only covered for 90 Days ask them to show you the exclusion in the warranty terms, if they can't then speak to the manager and ask them to educate their employees properly. 

Message Edited by Dave on 12-06-2009 05:24 PM

A+ Certified Computer Technician
www.theFakeGeek.com

Has this post helped you out? Please click on the star on the left!

Visitor
Snoopy08

That's what I thought. He was really pushing for the extended warranty. He also said that it had to be added at the time of purchase. The Futureshop site says that you have 30 days to buy the extended warranty. Thanks for your help.
Emerging Expert
The_Texorcist
Job Title: Associate
Store: Head Office

Hi there Snoopy, and thank you for bringing your question to the Forum!

First and foremost, I'd like to clarify a few points here. The Future Shop PE's and technicians that I work with are not, nor HAVE been, "confused" about warranty. Canadian laws regarding electronics are fairly explicit, and CANNOT vary from store to store or manufacturer to manufacturer. ALL electronics sold in Canada carry a 1 (one) year limited warranty. I say limited, because in the case of PC equipment, for example, hardware defects and faults are covered, whereas software, OS and physical damage are NOT. I would like to think that the PE you dealt with was simply not being clear, but I wasn't there, so I can't judge.

And you are quite correct, you have up to thirty days from time of purchase to add the Product Service Plan to your purchase. Again, possibly the PE was excited to be getting your business, and kind of crossed the two pieces of information. I have SEEN that happen, and helped clarify things with a customer.

I'm sorry the information you got in the store was a bit confused. I just don't want you being left with the misapprehension that ALL Future Shop employees either A) don't know what they're talking about, or B) are trying to pull the wool over your eyes to get a bigger sale. We've striven to make sure that this just isn't  so, and I wouldn't like for you (or anyone else) to believe in that mindset.

I hope that helps to put things in perspective!

Cheers, 

Greg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg Dobson
gdobson@connectpro.ca
ConnectPro Expert - Online Support

Contributor
btman

[ Edited ]
  I can confirm with the OP that when Future Shop is outlining the PSP on products, hardware defects and labour are considered covered for 1 year but they are telling customers accessories with it are covered for 90 days by the manufacturer. On a laptop I was told that would include the keyboard, webcam, touchpad, power cord and more. I've got one of those future shop planners saying: Manufacturers warranty: 1 yr parts and labour. 90 days accessory. 
Message Edited by btman on 12-06-2009 11:11 PM
Trusted Expert
Dave

The_Texorcist:

I appreciate you defending your colleges however I've worked at Future Shop for two years and have noticed this behaviour in multiple stores. Other technicians have also noticed this behaviour and there was a discussion on the internal ConnectPro forums. Nothing came of it.

As far as I am aware there was no company-wide memo telling Product Experts to stop doing this. I'm sure most do not but enough do to make it worrying. It's a deceptive practice that even some managers have taken part in.

You have no idea how many times a customer has brought in a PSP T-Bar when they bring in their computer for repair and the accessories portion is listed as "90 Days".  

A+ Certified Computer Technician
www.theFakeGeek.com

Has this post helped you out? Please click on the star on the left!

Visitor
Snoopy08

Thanks Texorcist. I'm sorry, but it wasn't that the salesman wasn't being clear. I told him that I thought the warranty included everything on the laptop. He stated clearly that the display and power supply were only covered for 90 days and that the power supply is known for going on laptops. He appeared very sure of himself. Since it's not true, I'm afraid I have to assume that he deliberately misinformed me.

In regards to the extended warranty, I told him that other stores give you 30 days to decide. He said that Futureshop doesn't have that policy. He said that I had to buy it at the same time as the computer. Someone was with me and heard the conversation. I didn't misunderstand.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I hope it's true that all Futureshop employees aren't the same, because this was a very bad customer experience.

Exalted Expert
roparadi
Job Title: Associate
Store: Head Office

Gateway's warranty terms can be found here.  It does specifically mention the screen, power adapter, keyboard, battery, and other parts as being covered for the full 1 year.
Robert Paradis
ConnectPro Online Support Expert

Contributor
btman

[ Edited ]
  This still isn't cleared up from what I know of. Multiple Product Experts gave me the same pizazz today. 
Message Edited by btman on 12-14-2009 04:53 PM
Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
quickinferno

Generally:

Manufacturer warranties EVERYTHING on the laptop from workmanship defects for 1 year. 

FutureShop PSP warranties everything EXCEPT batteries on the laptop from workmanship defects for the duration of the period specified.  

Manufacturer extended warranties cover EVERYTHING as such with its 1 year warranty (for the most part). 

Warranties are not transferable between laptops but are transferable between owners. Futureshop warranties have a clause where the warranty policy can be deemed to be fulfilled and thus terminated, whereas manufacturer's warranties generally do not.  

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.