Visitor
metor36
Accepted Solution

Looking for a Laptop

[ Edited ]
This is gonna be my first laptop, so im looking for a bit of help. I have a limit of $800 to $850 (without tax), and im looking for a laptop that would be good for everday use. I wont be gaming on it, as I have a desktop for that, and I won't be doing anything really high tech on it. Im up for any laptop, but I do want a build in laptop and microphone, and a wireless compatability, so I can go onto msn and the internet. I may also be writing stuff up for school, if that changes anything.
Message Edited by metor36 on 05-31-2009 01:38 PM
Exalted Expert
Credible_Chris

OK, your needs are very common, there are plenty of choic...

OK, your needs are very common, there are plenty of choices of laptop for you.

First thing to note, pretty much all laptops available from futureshop (and most other retailers) some with wireless networking built-in.  Some are wireless b/g and some are n.  I'm not sure what router you may already have, or if you are looking for one of those as well.

What size of laptop do you prefer?  Do you like a compact and portable 13.3" laptop?  Or a large or midsize laptop?  This would help to start looking at models for you.  I personally like the 13.3" and 14.1" sizes because they strike the best balance between portability, and comfortable screen size.  Many people though don't have a problem lugging around 16" and 17" laptops, so its completely up to you.

To start, I like this 14.1" Toshiba for $749.99.  Its only got GMA 4500 graphics, but thats definitely not a problem if you don;t plan on doing gaming.  The processor and 2 GB of RAM are enough to handle the basic tasks you mentioned pretty smoothly.

I really, really like this stylish 15.4" HP for $799.99.  You get a better Intel processor and much more RAM.  Its got the webcam for video chat too.  Once again, the flimsy GMA 4500 graphics won't be a problem as long as you don't try to do gaming.

This is a start, have a look and let me know what you think.  Reply back with any more questions if you have any!  :smileyhappy:

enjoy :smileyhappy:

Hi there,   Just a thought, you might want to check out t...

Hi there,

Just a thought, you might want to check out the "Computer Hardware Buying Guide" post made in an earlier thread in indentifying the type of user category you fall into. Here you can find some of the technical specs./ features you might look for in a new notebook.  http://futureshopforums.com/futureshop/board/message?board.id=computerlaptop&thread.id=9930

Also the HP (DV5-1134CA) that Chris mentions is a Future Shop exclusive and looks really sharp in the "Moonlight" white finish.  If you do much with excel or numeric entry you might also consider one of the DV6 notebooks here http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10121824&catid  This one has a slightly more robust Intel processor as well as a full numeric keypad.  While the screen size is larger the optimized 16X9 display still makes this a relatively portable machine and the "Expresso" black finish is one of my personal favourites.

Cheers,

Jeff Krahenbil
Territory Sales Manager
HP Canada Retail
Exalted Expert
Krypto

I really like that laptop too.  Good specs if you aren't...

I really like that laptop too.  Good specs if you aren't planning on gaming, and the technology is far enough advanced that you won't be trying to find a replacement within the first year.  I know its a touch more than the others, but it just might be worth your while!  I used to think 16" was too big, but so long as you have a good backpack, it's just fine.

If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking on the White Star.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Exalted Expert
Credible_Chris

A good backpack, and a good chiropractitioner, in my opin...

A good backpack, and a good chiropractitioner, in my opinion.

And I'm a sucker for a laptop that looks snazzy, which is why I liked the looks of the white HP (moonlight as they call it).

Chris, you know me :). A girl and a short one at that. I...

Chris, you know me :smileyhappy:. A girl and a short one at that. I used to think the same thing and while I prefer not to carry it absolutely everywhere, I'm actually okay with my 16" HDX. If I can manage it fine, then others can most definitely too. :smileyhappy:

If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking on the White Star.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Exalted Expert
Credible_Chris

OK, I guess we all have different thresholds for pain!  M...

[ Edited ]
OK, I guess we all have different thresholds for pain!  My 15.4" HP weighs in at 6.6 pounds.  Even in my backpack, I think its just too much to carry to school unless I know I'll really need it.  Maybe I'm just a wimp but when it comes to my backpack:  (6.6lb HP) + (class notes) + (textbook) = grouchy Chris
Message Edited by Credible_Chris on 06-01-2009 06:33 PM

I want to thank all of you for your great advice and supp...

I want to thank all of you for your great advice and support. I was checking over the laptops you have told me about, and I pretty much only have one question left. I have an iPod touch, and I checked, and found out it has an 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi. I wanted to know what the b/g means, and if a b/g/n suffix would be unable to work with the Wi-Fi in my neighbourhood. Is one just better and picks up more signals? Or are they two different signals?
Exalted Expert
Krypto

They are pretty much the same.  B/G is an older standard...

They are pretty much the same.  B/G is an older standard while Wireless N (in the A/B/G/N adapters) is the new standard.  When connected to a Wireless N router, a Wireless N capable computer can transmit data at faster speeds and you can get somewhat better range, but you need to be connected to a Wireless N router.  Also note that at this point in time, Wireless G is still more than fast enough for internet usage.  Wireless G transmits at up to 54Mbps and most internet connections are still down in the 3Mbps range (although they are finally starting to improve - you can get up to 10Mbps now), so you've got nothing to worry about, it's still plenty fast.

At this point in time, the only time anyone needs a Wireless N connection is when they intend to transmit large quantities of data between their computer and something like network storage (e.g. a hard drive connected to the network) or to a HD capable media hub.  Realistically, very few households have this, so...

I hope that helps explain things a bit more! :smileyhappy:

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.