Computers & Laptops

Visitor
Question44088

hi when is the release time for 4 processeur (quad core) laptops

hi when is the release time for 4 processeur (quad core) laptops
Exalted Expert
Krypto

Due to space limitations, its unlikely we'll see quad cor...

Due to space limitations, its unlikely we'll see quad core processors on laptops.  Instead, it is more likely that the technology will change all together (to what, I don't know at this point in time).

Hope this answers your question!

If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking on the White Star.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
mtrump

There is one notebook CPU from Intel - Core 2 Extreme Mob...

There is one notebook CPU from Intel - Core 2 Extreme Mobile CPU QX9300 - which is a quad core.  However, I haven't seen any specific models of notebooks that uses this CPU... yet.  (Probably just a matter of time.)

Exalted Expert
Krypto

K, I stand corrected, but I can only imagine the size of...

[ Edited ]

K, I stand corrected, but I can only imagine the size of the laptops carrying this processor (just checked the specs and they're pretty powerful).  Since it is for high-end gaming, the graphics card in the laptop will also be pretty mean, which means that the size of the heatsink is probably also pretty big.  My guess is that this goes into a 10lbs+ laptop.

But when it comes to consumer laptops (like the ones we can buy at FS), I'm doubtful we'll see these processors anytime soon, just due to size, power and heat dissipation requirements.  One thing is for sure, if we do see these processors, its still going to be some time before they make it down to consumer level.

Following up on mtrump's listing though, here is the link from Intel for more information: Intel Core 2 Quad Mobile Processor or Intel Core 2 Extreme Mobile Processor.  Looks like these processors just officially released this August (they may have come out before, but all the data sheets are dated August 2008).

Message Edited by Krypto on 08-29-2008 02:59 PM

If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking on the White Star.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Recognized Expert
Jay28

Quadcores and Dual cores are actually the same size. My q...

Quadcores and Dual cores are actually the same size. My quad 9850BE is the exact same size as my X2 5000+ (Dual Core) the quad maybe a little thicker but not much.  Possibly it is different from laptops as I have yet to open up a Dual Core laptop and have a look.
Exalted Expert
Krypto

I think the problem right now is dissipating heat suffici...

I think the problem right now is dissipating heat sufficiently.  I just read up a bit more on this and its going to be a while before these processors even make it into business laptops, which means it's going to be even longer before they make it into basic consumer laptops.  My guess is that we're looking at a year or so before these processors make it into consumer laptops, if that.  I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like.  In many cases though, people are calling it overkill for laptops as its being realized that laptops are not going to replace desktops (I think the gaming industry has all but guaranteed that).  And there simply aren't that many programs out there that take advantage of multi-threading at this point in time, so until the software catches up...

Recognized Expert
compugeek

you wont see quad core based laptops in retail stores any...

you wont see quad core based laptops in retail stores anytime soon.

the reason for it is more the cost.

most consumers right now are spending less than $1000 on a new laptop, since the quad core laptop processor is that price by itself you can imagine the cost of the whole laptop. this prices it outside what people will pay for a laptop in futureshop.

give it another 6-8 months and you probably will see some quad cores in laptops make their way into the retail channel and then they would probably be super expensive.

Recognized Expert
Jay28

Well I was reading today at one of my favorite computer r...

[ Edited ]

Well I was reading today at one of my favorite computer review sites and they happen to be reviewing gaming laptops and actually there is quite a selection of quadcores available in laptops. The Sager NP9262 you can purchase with a variety a processors ranging from Core 2 Duo E8500 to the Core 2 Quad Q9650. But as suggested there not available at known retail stores yet due to cost. For example the Sager NP9262 price begins at $2249 and can exceed $5500 depending what you want in it. Suprisingly you can get SLI 9800M GT's in it.

But I guess this does answer the original question. QuadCore laptops are already available you just have to have  the money to afford one and know where to look.

Message Edited by Jay28 on 09-04-2008 05:36 PM
Exalted Expert
Credible_Chris

I have seen a quad core laptop thtat was profiled on Cnet...

I have seen a quad core laptop thtat was profiled on Cnet.com, however, the quad core CPU was a rigged desktop CPU that was fitted into the laptop case.  It was a thick machine and the battery life was measured in minutes, not hours.

Rest assured that consumer level, economical quad core laptops are on their way, my guess in probably by next summer.  But if you absolutely cannot wait, they already exist.

there is a commercially available mobile quad core availa...

there is a commercially available mobile quad core available from intel, it's an extreme series processor that costs well over a $1000 for the processor itself.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.