Computers & Laptops

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Credible_Chris

Also, you shouldn't get the very first quad core models b...

Also, you shouldn't get the very first quad core models because just like any new innovation, it takes some time to iron out the kinks.

With time the prices will fall.

Yeah by that time there will be something new out. :smile...

Yeah by that time there will be something new out. :smileyvery-happy:
Credible_Chris

Its amazing how fast desktops went from single core to du...

Its amazing how fast desktops went from single core to dual and then to 4 cores.  I wonder if there is an upper limit as to how many cores you can have.  To me it seems ridiculus to have  8 cores, but....will it happen soon?!?

"work out the kinks"?? what kinks.     there ha...

"work out the kinks"??

what kinks.

there has been quad cores out for over a year now, any kinks was discovered a long time ago.

the reason for not having it in laptops is that there has been no reason to. laptops were never meant as multimedia power houses, but rather mobile office.

having a great battery life is one of the main considrations for business users, a quad core would eat through it too quickly.

as for 8 cores and no reason for it? well, that's just not following historic logic.

many years ago no one thought you would need more than 10mb of hard drive space, afterall, you could put soo many documents on that it could fill a library.

but with the demand for more multimedia rich applications and operating systems a faster computer is required and it opens up the opportunity to do incredible things.

Credible_Chris

1. I meant kinks to be discovered in the transition of qu...

1. I meant kinks to be discovered in the transition of quad cores to laptops, and by this I mean specifically examples such as: overheating, excessive battery usage, and other unforseen potential problems.  Ultimately though, solutions will be implemented as they always do.

2. Though laptops are generally not meant to be powrhouses, the gap between desktops and laptops has been shrinking for years now.  if a battery-minded business person doesn't want 4 cores in his "mobile office", then he/she can use  an Intel atom-processored netbook.  The market for quad core laptops would center on the power-hungry multimedia/gaming users.

3. I wasn't serious about the futility of 8 cores, they will come.  'Me' in 2008 is content with 4 cores, but 'Me' in 2020 may think 32 cores isn't enough.  But then maybe in 2020 processing power won't be measured in cores.