Computers & Laptops

Visitor
Question53160

why does my computer battery icon have a red X through it when I plug it in?

why does my computer battery icon have a red X through it when I plug it in?
Emerging Expert
atmx093

The red X on the charge/battery symbol usually means that...

The red X on the charge/battery symbol usually means that there is no battery installed. Remove the battery from the laptop and clean the gold connectors on it with a dry soft cloth. Put it back in afterwards. If it still won't register, you may need a new battery.

Also feel free to visit your local FutureShop store to get it checked.

Visitor
Josh_

I also get this problem and my battery isn't charging. I...

I also get this problem and my battery isn't charging. I thought at first it was the Battery so I bought a new one. All seemed to be working until I used it at school without it being plugged in and it drained the battery down to 10% or so and it will not charge. I tried bring it into Futureshop and testing another similar AC Adapter cord to see if it would charge but still no luck.

In the BIOS it says AC Adapter = Unknown Device Installed

This used to say 130W or 65W or something and I haven't changed any settings so I don't know whats going on. 

Any ideas?

If I brought it in how much would it cost to look into? Do you guys support Dell products?

I have a dell inspiron 6000 laptop. 

Exalted Expert
Credible_Chris

The only thing I can think of is that the battery is not...

The only thing I can think of is that the battery is not getting power to the laptop properly.  If this is happening on different batteries then either you coincidentally got two bad batteries, or the connection into the laptop is bad.  Try inspecting and maybe cleaning both.  Ensure a firm installation of the battery into your laptop, and cross your fingers.

As for the BIOS, how old is your laptop?  It seems that it knows something is there but can't identify it.  This may be a hardware problem.  Futureshop does support Dell products so maybe you should let them have a look at it.