Highlighted
Pioneer
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

System Recovery - Sony Laptop

Does Best buy provide recovery media for Sony laptops  specifically windows 7  for a VPCEH23FD

Legendary Hero of the Universe

Re: System Recovery - Sony Laptop

Best Buy does not, but lots of laptops have a built in recovery partition on the hard drive, as well as you can likely get recovery media from Sony.  If you can get your hands on a windows 7 disk you could use that as well as recovery media

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Most laptops don't even include CD drives anymore so the install media is pointless now.  Everything is downloaded.

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info,

I was able to recover the recovery partition on disk using EASEUS todo freeware but this does not seem to help as I cannot access the partition through either f10 or f11.  The HDD is so fried it won't boot from it and seems to interfere with accessing the partition.  I can boot from a repair disk but this doesn't address the required clean install of windows Any ideas?  

I'm not sure that buying a recovery disk from Sony is a worthwhile investment given I can upgrade to a newer machine  (refurbished)  for probably an incremental $150 to $200.   

0 Kudos

I am not aware of the price that sony charges for a recovery disk, it may actually be just a free download, you would have to contact them to find out.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

The recovery disc should be free from Sony if you bought it from them and can show proof of purchase.  It may be available through their online support.

If I were you, I would get ahold of new install files from Sony, attach your existing HDD to another PC, grab anything valuable off of it (pictures, tax forms, etc.) and then totally wipe the drive (erase it).

You will probably need to burn the install files onto a startup CD in order to re-install your OS if you are using Windows.

If you are using Linux, you can re-install directly from a bootable USB.

Luminary

[ Edited ]

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

You can use that site as long as you can still read the product key. After that you still need to download all the drivers from Sony directly.

Cheers

EDIT: https://esupport.sony.com/CA/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCEH23FD&template_id=1&region_id=3&tab=download#/d... there is the link for the sony drivers. If you don't feel comfortable doing it Geek Squad does offer services for this.

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info.

Because it is a Sony machine Mcrosoft will not supply the operating system through the product code.  Microsoft says I must go through Sony.    Sony as far as I can tell does not provide recovery media, ther user must create the media from the recovery partition which in my case is not accessable because the HDD is corrupted.  Sony has farmed out support to a third party who also does not support recovery media or clean installations of the operating system from the product code.   I have asked the Sony support community but got no reply after 2 days. (see below)

Sony also lists Best Buy as a provider of recovery media software but think this could be limited to operating systems older than windows 7.  Is that correct?  So without access to recovery media disks and no way to create them with a corrupted HDD and no direct access to the recovery partition I need a method to do a clean install of windows.   Any other ideas?

Thanks   

Below  is a description of the problem that I sent Sony

Recover Operating System Sony Vaio VPCEH23FD My Laptop HDD is corrupted and must be replaced. I need to install the operating system on a new HDD. Note the operating system as originally windows 7 but we had upgraded it to 10.

The laptop fails to boot and damage to the HD in the user partition seems to interfere with access to the system recovery partition. I cannot get access to the system recovery partition through either F10 or the Sony assist button (from cold start). All I get is a black screen. The recovery partition shows up normally under properties and disk management when I remove the disk put it in an enclosure and read from a separate PC. I have been able to recover a small amount of data from the user partition with third party recovery software. I can make a copy of the system recovery partition and have burned this to disk using freeware (EASEUS todo).  But beyond that I don't know what to do with it.

I cannot download/reinstall the operating system from Microsoft with the product key code because it is only supported by Sony.  Sony does not seem to support recovery media beyond generation from the recovery partition  which is not accessible in my case.  Can you advise as to recovery procedure without a set of recovery media disks and apparently without direct access to the recovery partition?

0 Kudos

you wont be able to get recovery media from Microsoft, but as @yippy_13 you should be able to get the windows install media from microsoft

Pioneer
0 Kudos

You cannot get the windows install media from microsoft for a Sony Vaio.  If you enter the product code on the microsoft site  they tell you to contact Sony.  But Sony sold off there VAIO PC business in 2014 to JIP and do not provide support for the VAIO anymore.  Support has been pushed off to a third party, who will only help if you already have the  software installation media, which I obviously don't. Disks were not provided in part because the recovery partition was supposed to address this capability.  But this option fails when the Hard Drive is corrupt.  So in fact there is no support from the Sony side, they naturally have little interest since they sold their computer division.

So I would appreciate any alternatives because I only see these options.  

1)  Pay for a brand new operating system

2)  Buy a new computer

3)  Take a gamble on a freeware site.