The Captain
0 Kudos

Which Laptop Is Best?

[ Edited ]

what type of laptop can I use for gaming use and school work use? what type of laptop would be best for both?

Thank you

Highlighted
Legendary Oracle

Re: witch laptop is best?

Abdulrahman wrote:

what type of laptop can I use for gaming use and school work use? what type of laptop would be best for both?

Thank you

Welcome to the Best Buy Community Plug-in forum @AbdulrahmanSmiley Happy

Purchasing a computer is a very personal experience. There are a number a variables to consider, including; How you use it, where you use it, who else is going to use it, and the various applications you will use it for.

Information such as, size of screen, unit weight, connectivity, tactile feel of the keyboard, touchscreen.., to name some criteria which is required, for selecting the best laptop for your use.

I'd highly recommend that you consult with our Computer Associates at any Best Buy store, and remember to inquire about any "Open Box" units that may be available at a great price.

I would also highly recommend that you inquire about the various Geek Squad Service Plans, that are available to protect your investment, I bought mine with a Total Protection Plan, which covers my laptop even from accidental damage, and provides me with instant Geek Squad Agent support if I have questions or problems.

The Captain
0 Kudos

ok thank you

The Captain
0 Kudos

ok thank you
Luminary

as  Elico47

Legendary Oracle

This article which was published today may also provide you with some information.

how to choose a gaming PC .

The Captain
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

my budget would be anything equal to or less than 1200 dollars, and really any brand but hoping for a really good one.

the games that i would play would be like mincraft, stronghold cursader, GTA 5, farcry primal. games like those but not many though, i would like to have a computer that can handle school work and gaming time without the computer over heating or crashing or even gliching. and lastly i am hoping for either desk top or laptop but i am mostly looking for laptops.

thank you

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Abdulrahman wrote:

my budget would be anything equal to or less than 1200 dollars, and really any brand but hoping for a really good one.

the games that i would play would be like mincraft, stronghold cursader, GTA 5, farcry primal. games like those but not many though, i would like to have a computer that can handle school work and gaming time without the computer over heating or crashing or even gliching. and lastly i am hoping for either desk top or laptop but i am mostly looking for laptops.

thank you

The ASUS ROG line is the cream of the crop in my opinion when it comes to gaming laptops! Unfortunately even the entry level models start around the $1600+ range. That pretty much true for most the the better brand name gaming laptops.

There are a few gaming laptops on the site that start around $1200, but they are definitely the bottom rung on the ladder. Still, for $1200 you are getting the right kind of specs to likely get the kind of performance you are looking for. It's hard to say, of course money is tight and budgets are important when you're a student.

photo signature-member_zps0ovpnde8.jpg

The Captain
0 Kudos

true, keeping a budget is hard being a student. and i do like the Asus brands, but lets say that i got a gaming computer; would i be able to use it as a regular computer and a gaming computer or is it strictly for gaming.

or lets say i got a regular computer (laptop) would i be able to play games like GTA 5, Farcry Primal, or even Mincraft  on it and work on school work the same time or will it crash after a bit becuase of over heating or other reasons?

thank you

Luminary

The difference between "gaming" laptops and "regular" laptops boils down to 1 thing. Graphics Prowess. For basic computing tasks (facebook, word processing, youtube, excel, email, etc) you can get away with buying pretty much anything that bestbuy has to offer. As soon as you desire to play games on a machine graphical prowess matters, a lot.

So from a computational perspective anything a regular laptop can do a gaming laptop can also do. However when you add a second high powered graphics chip to a machine you double the amount of high powered computer chips you need to cool, so you sacrifice some portability (gaming machines aren't currently as thin or as light as non-gaming machines) also if you try gaming solely using your machines battery you'll find that batterylife is impacted as well.

There are some interesting technologies coming such as AMD's Xconnect where you can connect a desktop graphics card to a laptop for great gaming performance, however such technologies either haven't seen the light of day as of yet or are proprietary (some vendors such as Alienware have also developed thier own solution as well, Alienware's solution is known as Alienware Graphics Amplifier)

Now since you're looking at laptops keep an eye out for machines featuring either a AMD Radeon R9 M290x or better, OR an NVIDIA GTX 960m. As long as the CPU is a core i5 or a core i7 (anything) you'll have a good machine.

An example of such a machine is this

click here to view a gaming capable machine

as for over heating? that ultimately comes down to build quality, since you're going to essentially be looking at machines with simlar internal specs (processor and graphics chip) the difference between machines is going to boil down to 4 things:

RAM, HDD/SSD, Screen & Build quality (screen hinges, keyboard, track pad)

now let us break those down:

1 RAM
RAM isn't really going to be an issue, yes you will see some performance differences between RAM speeds used, however they will be minimal. Don't be fooled into spending a ton of extra money on a machine that has faster RAM or more RAM. As long as the machine features 8gb or more you'll be fine (it is likely you could even get away with 4gb in a pinch.

2. HDD/SSD

HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive and SSD stands for Solid State Drive. HDDs offer greater storage capability while SSDs offer faster load times (I installed a 120gb SSD into my wife's laptop and it takes about 8 seconds to get to the windows log in screen once the power switch is pressed - aka a cold boot). There is such a thing as a hybrid drive which will give better load times (generally only for your most used programs or operating system) than a straight HDD but not be able to compete against a pure SSD. The machine I linked above has a 1tb hybrid drive featuring 8gb of flash memory. Another thing you'll notice when diving into specs is that laptops are usually specified as having 5400rpm speeds on thier HDDs. The issue with 5400rpm drives is that loading programs or booting windows is painfully slow because the drives are slow, the positive aspect of these drives is that they don't require as much power as 7200rpm drives & are far cheaper than SSDs (thus making the machine more affordable)

3. Screens

Screen resolution doesn't tell the whole store of how good a screen is! I recommend really playing around with the machine, viewing different pictures even look at the picture (I personally use close up pictures of flowers) from different angles  will help you ascertain how good a screen is.

Build Quality

Use the trackpad, type on the keyboard. How does it feel? if you're not happy with the experience immediately or notice problems then move on! Nothing is going to frustrate you more if you hate typing on the machine while taking notes. I would recommend you buy a mouse for gaming however as most people I've spoken with (myself included) despise using a trackpad for anything that would resemble gaming, you might even want to buy a controller as well (if you buy a controller either get an XBOX One controller or a XBOX 360 controller - as these controllers are most widely supported controllers and you'll have greater success getting a game to work with one of these)

otherwise take a look at how sturdy the hinges look - the last thing you want is to break a hinge & look to see where the vents are located (I'd recommend you have a sales representative with you as laptops have security devices attached to them and picking a laptop up for visual inspection could set off an alarm - or get the sales person to show you how the machine is cooled.

Also once you own a machine ONLY use it on hard surfaces, stay away from using it on fabrics as fabrics tend to contain dust and small particles that (over time) will get sucked into the cooling apparatus on the machine clogging it (thus causing it to run hot, stutter & possibly crash) You might even consider investing in a laptop stand.