Community Manager
0 Kudos

Ask all your Windows 10 questions here!

[ Edited ]

It's a big day for devices everywhere! Windows 10 has arrived and brings with it some very exciting updates - Microsoft Edge, Cortana and what some of us have been holding our breath for, the Start menu Smiley Wink

Share your first impressions on Windows 10 and any questions you may have about the upgrade here! We have quite a few experts amongst us who may be able to make your journey just a wee bit smoother. 

And for those of you who have been hearing the buzz but are not quite sure what it's all about, click through on the image above to check out all the details or dig in to these articles from the Plug-In blog: 

10 Coolest things to look forward to in the new Windows 10

Windows 10: how to get your PC ready for the upgrade

Windows 10: the biggest improvements from Windows 8

BBYJuby
Community Coordinator
Plug-in | Join the conversation

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle

Re: Ask all your Windows 10 questions here!

Some questions that comes to mind...

• how long does it take to download and install?
  • what software/driver problems do people encounter?
  • Is a dual core Vista machine worthy of Win10 or should I get myself a new machine?
Luminary

xl wrote:

Some questions that comes to mind...

• how long does it take to download and install?
  • what software/driver problems do people encounter?
  • Is a dual core Vista machine worthy of Win10 or should I get myself a new machine?

Took me about as 1.5h max shortest was about 30ish min for the upgrade.

There are a few problems still mainly for nvidia users who are running the 700 series. KIS 2015 doesn't work so you need to get that upgraded to 2016.

I upgraded one of my media pc's from 7 to 10 and only has 2gb on ram didn't really notice a slow down so i would see and issue with your machine.

Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

I have two VMs running on 10240 build prior to today (as Windows Insiders install).  My main laptop upgraded earlier day, and doing my netbook at the moment.

If you want to upgrade multiple PCs, instead of waiting for all the bits to come down, you can download manually and create a USB stick of the install.  To do so, do a search on "download windows 10" on Google and it should return the link to Microsoft's page.  From there you can download a mediacreationtoolx64.exe (or x86 if you are running 32-bit Windows).  With that EXE, you can either upgrade that PC directly (for those who can't wait to get Win10 Smiley Tongue), download an ISO (to burn to a DVD), or create USB stick. Unlike upgrades for prevous versions of Windows, you will not be asked for product key during install - the activation is done automatically.

My main laptop has no major issues with Win10; I have not tried all programs but my Office 2013 is working fine.  What I find interesting is that you can perform a network connection (such as a wifi access point or VPN network) prior to login, similar to iOS and Android.

Cortana does not work for me yet as I have my machine set to Canada (Canadian Cortana is coming later this year).  If you want to try Cortana now you'll need to set the PC to location USA and US English as default language.

It took about 2 hours to do the upgrade on the laptop (while I went out for lunch), and probably longer on my netbook - I'll probably let it run while I'm sleeping.

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Doing a quick google... the things to look out for...

• activation... keep trying
  • Chrome browser
  • DVD playback
  • IE favourites
  • automatic updates
  • wifi stability

Gonna wait a week before I snort the pixie dust.  We have a year before the free upgrade offer ends.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=windows+10+issues&tbm=nws

Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

xl wrote:

Doing a quick google... the things to look out for...

• activation... keep trying
  • Chrome browser
  • DVD playback
  • IE favourites
  • automatic updates
  • wifi stability

Gonna wait a week before I snort the pixie dust.  We have a year before the free upgrade offer ends.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=windows+10+issues&tbm=nws

So far on the 3 machines I have done I havent had really any of the above issues yet

Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

1. No issues with activation - both machines are shown to be activated
  2. No issues with Chrome
  3. I don't have any DVDs to try at this moment.  Data DVDs work fine.  (Note:  Windows 10 no longer comes with Windows Media Center.)
  4. Can't comment on IE favorites as I do not use IE much. Smiley Tongue  (Note - IE is now replaced by Edge.)
  5. There was a couple of updates that came down after the install.  Note:  Consumer version of Win10 is required to be updated.  Also, "Modern Apps" (or Metro Apps) are updated separately via Store - just like with iOS and Android.
  6. No issues with wifi so far.

Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

After the upgrading the netbook (which Windows 10 activted by itself), I decided to do a clean install because I want to clean up the junk on it.

First, I did a reset from within Windows 10.  After a few reboots, it came up with a big :-( screen with inaccessible boot device error (not good).

Thus second time around, I decided to delete all the partitions on the drive and reinstall Windows 10 the old fashion way.  During the middle of the install, it asks me for the product key... but wait - where is the product key?  Microsoft never emailed me the new product key for WIndows 10.

There is a tiny link on the bottom that says skip, which I did.  When the installation is done, I checked the status again, and shows that Windows 10 is activated - without knowing the product key.

So the moral of the story is - go through the Windows 10 upgrade process, even if the install didn't turn out quite well.  After Windows 10 completed activation, you can clean install and Win10 will reactivate by itself.

Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

I remember hearing that when you do the upgrade it upgrades your exsisting key so if you had windows 8 it reads it out of the bios (where it is stored in windows 8) and will activate, if you had windows 7 you just use that key.

Also I heard that it ties your key to your microsoft store account so as soon as you login to it the key is active

Not sure which is correct, all is just speculation at this time

Legendary Luminary

[ Edited ]

I do not believe the key is tied to Microsoft account.  My netbook did not use Microsoft account, yet knows how to activate itself.  

This is from Winsupersite:

"The basic process is that when you perform an upgrade to Windows 10 (over a genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 system), an anonymous and unique hardware hash is generated that is based on your systems hardware configuration. Since it is anonymous, you do not have to use a Microsoft Account. This hardware hash is generated even if you choose to install Windows 10 with a Local Account.

That same hardware hash is sent to Microsoft servers and a corresponding certificate is created to validate your systems activation status. From this point forward any future installs, including one where you delete all partitions and install Windows 10 from scratch, will be activated because of that unique hardware hash and the corresponding certificate. Since it is all stored on Microsoft’s servers there is no reason for us to keep a backup either."

Windows Insider builds will require Microsoft Accounts.