Pioneer
0 Kudos

How do I remove an old HDD and install a new HDD?

I have an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-250f computer. This computer has the following: Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64-bit OS Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU RAM: 8 GB Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1 TB, 7200 RPM, 32 MB Cache, SATA 6.0 GB/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive The current HDD is failing. I need to remove the current HDD and install a new HDD. Are there videos or websites that explain how to do this? I would prefer to NOT have to remove the fan. I've heard that, if you remove the fan, you have to reattach the fan in some special way, or the CPU will overheat. Thank you for any information.

Legendary Epic Genius

Re: How do I remove an old HDD and install a new HDD?

[ Edited ]

It's all going to depend on how your computer is configured inside the tower. Sometimes the HDD is easily accessible and can be removed easily without also having to remove other components to get to it, and sometimes it's complicated, and the HDD is recessed in behind or around other components, making it difficult to get out.

The other thing to consider is that sometimes there are warranty stickers attached to the casing on a computer where if they are broken, the warranty is voided (only technicians who are permitted to do warranty repairs may open the computer up, and they'll generally replace the sticker once the work is done). Depending on how old your computer is it may or may not be under warranty, in which case you might not be able to make those repairs yourself without voiding the warranty. If this isn't a consideration, I'd recommend cracking the case open to take a look inside. If it's able to open from both sides, that would be a plus, because the HDD might be hard to reach from one side, but really easy from the other.

Open the case up, take a look and see what you are dealing with. From there you can determine whether it will be easy or hard to remove, and then whether it's something you want to attempt yourself or bring to a computer repair shop.

I hope that helps, and best of luck!

JB

Legendary Hero of the Universe

Most desktops are super easy, just removed the side of the case locate the harddrive and there is usually just a couple screws to undo and it will pop right out (some may have a switch or level to undo instead of screws) you can usually find a video or 2 if you need help, just using google

Legendary Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

There are a couple of things to be aware of when changing the HDD.

I'm sure there are many YouTube videos.  I would watch a few of them first especially if you are new to working with computer components.

In all cases, however:

o  make sure you back up your old drive and get all the data you need off of it.

o  as Juice said, understand that you are likely voiding your warranty

o  keep track of all the little pieces and screws and where they go.  Take pictures if you are not sure.

o  try to keep yourself grounded.  That is, use a grounding strap to avoid damaging any internal parts of the computer.  If you don't have a grounding strap handy, at least touch an earth ground and then the chassis of your computer (bare metal) before touching the computer parts.

o  make sure the new drive you have is compatible with your system.

o  make sure you have the Windows install disks and/or recovery disks handy.  maybe it is in USB form now.

Legendary Epic Genius

Great replies folks!

OP make sure you don't touch the fan that's connected to the processor, it will not be connected to the hard drive in any way. And as SonicBoom mentioned at the end of his post you will need some sort of installation media be it a generic windows CD or recovery media.

Should you use a generic windows CD you will likely need to download some drivers for your desktop from HP's website.

Best of luck
Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627