Scout
0 Kudos

WD hard drives work with Vista?

Hello, I was wondering about the new versions of the Western Digital my book hard drives. I'm using Windows Vista OS and have several of the older version WD my book drives which work fine with Vista. So my question is are these new drives compatible with Vista? Thank you

Legendary Oracle

Re: WD hard drives work with Vista?

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the Best Buy Community Plug-in forum @Bumblebee Smiley Happy

When formatted to NTFS , the WD MyBook external hard drive, is compatible with; Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 .

Legendary Epic Genius

To add to Elico's point, in addition to NTFS any WD drive will work with any version of windows, in any format including EXFAT and FAT32.

You only run into issues if the drive storage capacity is too large for some of the older operating systems, which I believe is 2TB for windows 7 and below.

Cheers
Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Scout
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help. Do I need to format the drive from exFAT to NTFS? How do I do this? My old drives are NTFS and work with Vista.

Also for storage space I want to buy a 4TB drive or larger so will this be a problem?

Highlighted
Legendary Hero of the Universe

You dont need to change it from exFat to NTFS if you dont want. If you want to though you just plug it in, then when it appears in your "my computer" right click and select format, there will be a drop down at the top of the format page that will let you select exFat or NTFS