Emerging Expert
cpoulton
Job Title: Associate
Store: Head Office

Re: ConnectPro launches Online Support

I am  glad to see the discussion regarding our new services. 

He was not indicating that you must pay for the service in order to receive more information. :smileyhappy: He was suggesting that to get direct specific information regarding the services, one may start a chat session with one of our experts. Further to that Dave if you would like to share your feelings on the specific services that we offer with regards to remote support please fill out our feedback form here. and a representative will help you further.

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Krypto

Given that Dave is actually a former FS ConnectPro person, I know exactly what he's getting at... :smileywink:

That said, I know that the pricing of some of the ConnectPro services has been a sore spot for people.  Of course, if you want on demand service, it costs money.  The forums can be a great source of information, but we don't have access to your computer, plus it isn't always easy to have a real time conversation over the forums, meaning that it typically ends up taking a lot longer to resolve problems.

But I do have one question... are you guys able to use remote desktop access?  I know I had HP do this once, Linksys also had this functionality.  Of course, you need to be there in front of the computer as this ensures that your personal data remains safe and secure, but... If you are able to do this, then the value of the service is somewhat more justified.

If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking on the White Star.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
Dave

cpoulton wrote:

I am  glad to see the discussion regarding our new services. 

He was not indicating that you must pay for the service in order to receive more information. :smileyhappy: He was suggesting that to get direct specific information regarding the services, one may start a chat session with one of our experts. Further to that Dave if you would like to share your feelings on the specific services that we offer with regards to remote support please fill out our feedback form here. and a representative will help you further.

Alright my mistake then. When he said to try our service I thought it meant actually trying the service. 

But why not break down your $79 service right here on the forum? This way others will be able to see what it is about and won't have to start chat sessions. It would be most helpful. :smileyhappy: 

A+ Certified Computer Technician
www.theFakeGeek.com

Has this post helped you out? Please click on the star on the left!

Exalted Expert
roparadi

[ Edited ]

Well, to answer Krypto's question first because it's shorter, yes, we do primarily use Webex to remotely view a customer's computer with their permission.

To give the long version of the Privacy and Security check, we will check any router on their home network, if it's not secured we will secure it.  We will update their system if it needs it. We will check for security software, if they don't have any, we will offer to install one(once paid for, of course), and ensure it is up to date, and that the settings set in the software are at reasonable levels.  We will check through existing software on the system that may be risky, such as P2P software, and remove it if the customer approves. Also, we will teach the customer how to use a backup program they have, and teach them 'safe browsing' practices, which websites to avoid, what to look for in phishing emails, etc.

We do all this while the customer watches from the comfort of their own home, and they may ask questions at any point.

Message Edited by roparadi on 25-10-2009 10:29 AM
Robert Paradis
ConnectPro Online Support Expert

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Krypto

Great summary of the services!  For those who don't know much about how to properly use computers on the internet, that actually can be a very valuable service.  Thanks for clarifying that Robert!

If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking on the White Star.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

quickinferno

What about the one I was asking about? 

And yeah, about HP, they usually charge w/e they want for products, that's expected :smileytongue: However, we expect value from Futureshop! 

Emerging Expert
The_Texorcist

Good evening, Quick.

I believe you were asking about the setup service. Here's a quick summary of what this service entails:

Disable UAC

Removal of trial and promotional software

Installation of common applications (java, flash, adobe reader, etc.)

Installation of Service Packs (if needed)

Installation of customer-requested software (within reason)

All windows updates performed

Installation of a wired Printer

Customization (Home page, search provider, default Web browser, etc.)

Final cleanup and tweaking, re-enable UAC

Show customer basics of start-up, shut-down, open and explain Recovery Disk Creator, etc.

So as you can see, this is actually quite a comprehensive service, absolutely comparable to the in-store setup that ConnectPro provides, but from the comfort of your own home. Given the extent of the work done, the time taken, and the convenience involved, I hope you can now see the value provided by this offering. While as a business, we of COURSE need to make some profit, we feel that our prices are A) extremely competitive and B) quite reasonable.

I hope this helps shed some light for you. Please don't hesitate to ask for more information from any of the team!

Cheers!

Greg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg Dobson
gdobson@connectpro.ca
ConnectPro Expert - Online Support

Dave

Thanks for explaining the service guys!

So it seems like the services are good for people who just want to get certain things done and are completely ignorant off how computers work. That's completely fair. If they are willing to pay (and working as a technician for years has taught me that they are) then all the power to you.

A+ Certified Computer Technician
www.theFakeGeek.com

Has this post helped you out? Please click on the star on the left!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
JS

Connecting my new Apple IPAD 2

Visitor
Bigdawg1954

I bought a four year extended warranty on my new PC. Does that include the services you offer?
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.