Visitor
sonya

How do I use system recovery discs?

I have a virus.  I've backed up all my data and pics.  I would like to clean off my HD and start fresh.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A300-034 urchsed in Aug 2008 - I have the system recovery discs.

Do I have my computer up and running, put the 1st disc in and run it?

Will that prompt me thru the whole process?

When its complete will it have my Windows Vista and everything still on it?

I have my MS Office discs - do I just install them like a was doing it for the first time - or will the system recovery discs have the MS office up and running for me again?

Thanks!!
Sonya

Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Tanarus

Re: How do I use system recovery discs?

To use the system recovery disks, restart your computer. When the Toshiba logo comes up as it starts back up, start tapping the F12 key to get into your computer's boot menu. From there, insert your first recovery disk, and choose to boot from the CD/DVD drive. This should start the recovery process.

This will completely erase everything from your system, then reinstall Windows and all the Toshiba software the way it was when it left Toshiba. You will need to reinstall any software you want to use on it, including Microsoft Office, and any antivirus program you want to use.

Ken R.
Tanarus Computer Solutions, Orangeville Ontario
Former ConnectPro Computer Technician
XL

Yuck, I hate restoring all my software and data.  After doing it for a few times, I went out and got Norton Ghost to create a disk image 4 times a year.  Then again, since I got Norton Ghost, I haven't needed to restore anything.

Visitor
shayne590

[ Edited ]

i did the steps and i have been waiting for about 20mins and all there is. is a black screen and a mouse help me!

and i have a toshiba satllite pro c650d running windows 7 64 bit

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.