Visitor
mikeberry22

forgot dlink dir-655 password

how do i find out my password, i recently bought a new laptop and i forgot my password for my dlink dir-655 router, does anyone know a way to recover or find out what it is
Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Krypto

I'm assuming you forgot the wireless password key?  If so...

I'm assuming you forgot the wireless password key?  If so, and if you remember your router's administration password you can log into your router by using a hard wired connection (ethernet), opening Internet Explorer and typing in 192.168.0.1.  If I remember correctly with DLink routers, the username is admin while the password will either be blank or will have the password you put in.

If you've forgotten the administrative password as well, there is usually a reset button on the router (typically at the back of the router).  Press this button (you may need a pin or the end of a paper clip to push in the button).  This will reset the router to original conditions.  Use the info I provided above to log into the router, then redo all the router connections (e.g. add the wireless passkey, change the SSID, change the administration password, etc).

Let us know if you have any other problems or questions. :smileyhappy:

If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking on the White Star.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Snapshot

I have a notebook where I write all of this info down so...

I have a notebook where I write all of this info down so I don't forget...very helpful.

Credible_Chris

Dlink routers come with a CD sleeve (in which is the driv...

Dlink routers come with a CD sleeve (in which is the driver CD)  There is also a flap where you right down the information such as your password and network name.  Hopefully you would have stored this in a place where you could access it if you needed to.  Oh well...