Contributor
cquilliam

What is ExLink ?

I have a Samsung 40" LCD 120Hz TV (LN40B610) that I purchased from Futureshop back in march.  During the NHL playoffs last year, I wanted to get some extra sound out of the TV.  I couldn't afford to go out and buy a bunch of new speakers, so I hooked my computer speakers up.  The speakers use just a regular stereo headphone jack (3.5mm i think, like a headphone plug).  Looking on the back of my TV, I could only see two places that looked like it would fit in.  One port was for "PC" which had a blue VGA port paired with it, which I didn't think was right.  Next to my RCA plugs for my cable, there was another port that looked the right size called "ExLink".  So, I plugged it in there, and it worked!  

After a few days, I unplugged the speakers and put them back onto the computer.  A few days ago, I brought the speakers back out and plugged it into the same port, but it doesn't work (yes, I go through the TV menu and set it to external speakers).  Thinking I may have the wrong port, I looked in my manual, and it says the ExLink is some sort of service port.

So, my question is, why did they work before and not now?  It seems like it should have never worked before.  Any idea on how I can plug my speakers in and get them to work?

--
Corey
Emerging Expert
jhamilto
Job Title: Product Buyer
Store: Head Office

Re: What is ExLink ?

It shouldn't have worked.......

What you need is an RCA - 3.5mm cable to go from the RCA audio out on the TV to your computer speakers.  You should be able to find it cheap at FS.  If the cable coming out of your speakers is not removable then you may need a F-F 3.5mm adapter.

Jesse

Visitor
dbeaudin

So what exactly does ex-link do? 

Exalted Expert
Exalted Expert
hb

Samsung's ex-link data input-output port (based on the RS-232 serial data communication protocol) makes it possible to send send control commands to the TV from a computer. Samsung's primary purpose for providing this port was to allow a service tech to run diagnostics on the TV. For more information, do an internet search on the words "Samsung ex link".

Visitor
PsychoKing

There isnt any RCA out put. Well not on my Samsung PN43E450 43" Class Plasma HDTV.

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
Drax86

PsychoKing you should have started a new topic as your issue doesn't relate to the initial post.

Do you mean RCA input? you will have one it will be shared with the component input, the yellow cable will use the green component port

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.