Community Manager

What are your favourite healthy recipes?

[ Edited ]

Halloween is over and the candy aisles are priced to clear out to make way for... more candy! As we approach the holiday season and we all start getting busier with social events and school concerts and visits to the mall, it's easy to let healthy eating slide. But preparing healthy meals doesn't have to fall by the wayside - there are tons of simple, fast, nutritious AND delicious meals out there to get you and your family through this hectic time of year. 

I love to prepare meals in bulk and freeze the leftovers for those evenings when I get home late and I'm too hungry to cook. One of my favourites, and seasonally appropriate meals, is delicious turkey chili. I've tried lots of different recipes over the years, but this one has proven to be my go-to as of late.

Recipe from realsimple.com

photo by Anna Williamsphoto by Anna Williams

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 small yellow onion, chopped

1 pound of ground turkey

1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes, undrained

1 15.5 ounce can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 bell pepper, diced

3 tablespoons of tomoato paste

1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder

pinch of kosher salt

1/4 cup of sour cream

1/2 cup of shredded cheese

1/4 red onion, chopped (optional)

1 small jalapeno, chopped (definitely optional!)

DIRECTIONS
  1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until slightly soft, about 4 minutes.
  2. Add the turkey and cook, crumbling with the back of a wooden spoon, until no trace of pink remains, 5 to 7 minutes.
  3. Add the tomatoes and their juices, beans, bell pepper, tomato paste, 1½ cups water, chili powder, and 1¼ teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
  5. Divide among bowls and top with the sour cream, Cheddar, and onion, if using.

I like my chili on the spicy side, so I like to add jalapenos as well, but this should be done to taste as I like to feel the burn more than most might Smiley Wink

What healthy recipes help get you through the holiday season? Share them below!

BBYLaura
Community Manager
Plug-in | Join the conversation

Editor in Chief

Re: What are your favourite healthy recipes?

I make a very healthy stew, substituting 1.5 cups of cooked green lentils for the usual beef. Soften chopped onion, green and coloured peppers, and celery in oliver oil. I steam about 8 medium pototoes and 6 medium carrots (all cut into bite size pieces), and use their water with a jar of homemade canned tomatoes  instead of broth. After combining all the veggies I add the lentils with the liquid they were cooked in, and let simmer and reduce for an hour or so.  With generous Thyme and salt and pepper it is very hearty and healthy.

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Re: What are your favourite healthy recipes?

OMG yummie recipes @BBYLaura @BBYMartin 

Having a Middle Eastern Background, I suppose I can come up with a good number of favourite dishes.

When it comes to healthy eating, I'd have to say that the healthiest food that I like is a good Falafel dish.

Now, many of you are fameliar with the standard chic pea falafel, but what I'm talkin' 'bout is an Egyptian dish called Ta'ameyya. Heart

In this case instead of Chick Peas, the more flavourful Fava bean is used.

Now, when it comes to health, in comparison, a falafel sandwich in a pita that containes 5 ta'ameyya falafel patties, with good garlicy tahini sauce and tabouleh salad mix, has more nutrition and flavour, than a 10oz. full steak dinner, with desert.Smiley Wink

How about a simple way to give breakfast a zinger?

Have you heard of Shakshukah yet?