GPS, Car & Marine Electronics

Trusted Expert
ShwaCarInstall

That's right its going to get COLD soon!!!!"Remote Starter what to look for guide!"

[ Edited ]
GUESS WHAT!!! That's right its going to get COLD soon!!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to remote starter season! Starting at $149.99 installed (basic install)– which is just crazy for a Nordic NS-1054H with two transmitters – Future Shop has the most aggressive pricing of anybody in town.

To Start we are going to have to find out some information about your vehicle, including the year, make and model. In the early nineties, GM started introducing a resistor code-based passive anti-theft system in their higher-end vehicles, called VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System). A small “chip” with two contacts was embedded in the upper part of the key with one of fifteen specific resistor values. When the key was inserted into the cylinder and turned forward, the cars computer would read this resistor value, and if found to be correct would allow the starter to engage. If the value was incorrect, the car would not start. This system essentially got the ball rolling for factory-installed immobilizer systems, which are now pretty much commonplace in new vehicles, and can substantially add to the price of having a remote starter installed.

They can be broken down into two basic categories:
• Resistor code-based (Gm VATS, Passlock I, II, III)
• Transponder-based (Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Ford, Mercury, Mazda, Nissan and pretty much everyone else)

While Passlock works great, many car manufacturers have adopted the transponder-based immobilizer system. These systems work by having a small transponder chip embedded in the top part of the key (often making it “fatter” in appearance). When starting the vehicle, a coil around the key cylinder energizes the chip inside the key, which in turn sends a specific RFID code back through the coil, and to the cars computer. If the code is recognized, the car will be allowed to start. Depending on the model of the car, sometimes there is a short delay while the RFID code is read, so the car will actually start and run for a few seconds, only to have the ignition cut off abruptly if the computer does not detect that the code is valid.

Vehicles with transponder-based immobilizer systems have to have their ignition keys made at a car dealership, and then the vehicle needs to “learn” the new key code. That being said, immobilizer systems work extremely well at preventing vehicle theft, and they also work extremely well at making the installation of a remote starter a potential nightmare. Our two main manufacturers of bypass modules, DEI and Staub, have been working fervently to get around these systems without completely compromising them. All of our bypass modules temporarily bypass the factory immobilizer system only when the remote starter is engaged, without having to comprimise the security of the vehicle. Bypass modules, for all intents and purposes, simply mimic the function of a key. To find out if a vehicle is equipped with a factory immobilizer, consult a FutureShop Car Associate or ConnectProt Installer.

One very important thing to remember with the bypasses is that you the customer must bring two working keys at the time of their appointment. This is especially prevalent in Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth or Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Mazda vehicles. Since the vehicle is learning a new RFID code, it will require two valid keys to put it into “learn” mode so that the bypass module will be recognized and work properly.

Another thing to check is the door lock interface column. In select vehicles (2003-up full-size GM pickup, for example), a door lock interface module is also required, often due to door lock triggers being converted to data signals, not just a simple relay triggering. Keep that in the back of your mind for when you get to quoting for door locks or trunk release as well.

Also some transponder-based systems haven’t been interfaced with by DEI or Staub yet. In that (rare) event a 556U module will be used. This module is essentially a storage case for a valid ignition key. What this means is that the customer will either have to sacrifice one of his/her existing keys to be placed inside the module (often the valet key is a viable option), or if they don’t want to give up one of their keys they will have to go to the dealership to have another one made and programmed. The price of a new key alone can adversely affect the overall price, so be aware of that issue if it comes up.

The only other non-optional labour charges occur when the vehicle has either a factory or aftermarket alarm system, or if the vehicle runs on diesel fuel. The best thing to do is just ask in store for a quote. If you have existing factory remotes, there’s a good chance there’s a factory alarm. If the horn honks when they press the lock button there is a good chance of a factory alarm. Larger full-size pickup trucks will sometimes have a diesel engine, as well as some Volkswagen models. Since diesel engines have glow plugs, there’s a short delay while they heat up before the engine can start. Depending on the vehicle, this can generally add $25-50 to the price. If you’re unsure, consult your ConnectPro installer.

Then come the goodies… All the optional features. Again, it’s important you know that these features are optional. They do not come with the basic install price; they are additional labour charges. Many people assume that because the buttons are there, they will work. This is not the case. Anti-grind, power locks, power trunk, rear defrost etc all require additional parts and labour. Please remember that a vehicle must have existing power locks or power trunk to implement these features on the remote starter. This means the trunk release has to be a push-button, not cable! Some Korean manufacturers (mainly Hyundai) come with “dummy” power lock systems where there is a lock actuator in every door except the driver’s door. These vehicles need to have actuators installed in the driver’s door in order for the power locks to work.

In the event that they have no power locks or trunk, we can usually install motors to make them power!

$149.99 is indeed a hot price, but it’s very important that you the customer understand that this, and usually any other advertised price, covers basic installation only.

I hope I didn't scare you but your vehicle is very important to you and thus very important to us. So we make sure we use the right parts and the right people to install anything in your vehicle. And on top of that we have the best Product Service Plan around to make sure you have a working remote starter for years to come!!!

So drop into a Future Shop and get exactly what you want for you Alarm/Remote Starter Needs!!!! We will give you a great price, and don't forget to ask for about our bronze, silver and gold packages to save even more money on convenience features for your remote starter!!! Thanks for reading!!!

note that on every labout receipt there is a $4.99 materials charge.
Message Edited by ShwaCarInstall on 10-02-2008 01:20 PM
Message Edited by ShwaCarInstall on 10-02-2008 01:20 PM
Message Edited by ShwaCarInstall on 10-02-2008 01:21 PM
Contributor
imperium

i have a remote starter question, there is an aftermarket...

[ Edited ]

i have a remote starter question,

there is an aftermarket remote starter installed on my vehicle ( it was there when i got it)

the problem is, it doesnt work very well when its cold more or less making the remote starter a redundant feature

so what im wondering is, was it installed incorrectly or is it just a crappy unit and i should just take it out and try and sell it

or should i bother attempting to fix it

i dont really know anything about remote starters (i dont even know where its located :smileysad: )

any help will be greatly appreciated

the vehicle is a 1994 nissan hardbody automatic if it makes any difference

Message Edited by imperium on 10-02-2008 02:15 PM
Trusted Expert
ShwaCarInstall

any idea what model it is? can you post a picture of the...

any idea what model it is? can you post a picture of the remote?

If it doesn't seem to be cranking long enough when it is cold outside, there may be settings in the remote starter to address that issue. 

Is it hard to start with the key when it is cold outside? if this is the case, you may need to have the starter wires checked (bad connection, corroded terminals), and the starter also checked.

Contributor
imperium

its fine to start with a key, the starter was just replac...

its fine to start with a key, the starter was just replaced 1 or 2 years ago,

it actually cranks significantly longer than with the key,

ill see what i can do for pictures of the starter later, i dont know if this will help but the remote key fob thing, says ProStart and on the back it says FCC ID:NAH121

Trusted Expert
ShwaCarInstall

Ah, ProStart. Yep I know that one.   Sounds like you may...

Ah, ProStart. Yep I know that one.

Sounds like you may need to program tach again, or tach was not hooked up and it is relying on a not so reliable 'generator signal' (senses when the voltage goes from 12volts to 14.4volt alternator voltage). 

I'd have it checked out soon - as what's called a dragging start seems to be happening (starter engaged longer than needed), can cause too much wear on the starter. 

or you can upgrade to a newer and better model, with longer range and any other options you would want. 

Trusted Expert
ShwaCarInstall

Re: Ah, ProStart. Yep I know that one.   Sounds like you may...

[ Edited ]

2012 winter is coming. Can you feel it. 

(NOTE: prices above are out of date)

Visitor
Kristen

Re: That's right its going to get COLD soon!!!!"Remote Starter what to look for guide!"

Hi there for a remote starter is the prices different if its a automatic or manual. I want to get a remote starter installed in my boyfriends 2004 Honda civic si and need to know what the estimate price would be for installment or is it the same price as automatic ?
Trusted Expert
ShwaCarInstall

Re: That's right its going to get COLD soon!!!!"Remote Starter what to look for guide!"

They usually charge just under an hour labour extra for manual transmission because of all the safety switches and programming needed. 

Just remember you understand the extra steps needed to operate a remote starter on a manual transmission car, and that you are ok with them. 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.