Contributor
Nina

legal decibel levels for car audio?

What are the legal decibel levels for car audio?
Recognized Expert
Recognized Expert
Stu

Im not sure if there are any legal limitiations to this,...

Im not sure if there are any legal limitiations to this, but keep in mind that any sustained listening over ~90-95 decibels can give you permant hearing loss, and around 120 decibels is where it starts to be painful
-Stu

MECP Certified Advanced Installer
Visitor
Illicitconcep99

i agree i dont think there is limitations however dependi...

i agree i dont think there is limitations however depending where u live there is a bylaw that says u cant have any loud music or work equipment past a certain time in pickering its 11;00 and people can call in to complain and report u and there is a fine dont know how much though, unless ur in an area that is designated for clubs and such where the bylaw doesnt apply.  ask ur local bylaw officer

Emerging Expert
Bellevillead611

as for the specific db level yes there is one you would h...

as for the specific db level yes there is one you would have to contact your local by-law office as its is a set db at a set distance from the vehicle. You can be charged with a noise violation at any time of the day if you are disturbing people and the police come and witness the loud music you can be charged with disturbing the peace or excessive noise this is for all of Ontario. Some towns have the 11pm rule but that applies to domestic situations like stomping your feet or yelling loud enough for say the people under you in your apartment to hear you this does not apply to automotive noise.
Fred Sherri
Install Team Lead
Future Shop 611 - Belleville
Contributor
FiberGuru

There is no "legal limit" however, the rule of...

There is no "legal limit" however, the rule of thumb for most police officers tends to be "if im in my car 100 feet away, and i can hear it, its too loud". Dont quote me on that, that is just my experience from my involvement with the police.
Evan
Mobile Audio
MECP Silver Certified
---canadastreetscene.com---
Emerging Expert
Bellevillead611

Law is 95 Decibel's at 50-100 ft away, with a Decibel met...

Law is 95 Decibel's at 50-100 ft away, with a Decibel meter.. For automobile's
Now keep in mind it is highly doubtful that any Cop is going to have a Decibel Meter in their car.

This is the same standard for exhaust noise. I just called my local police station to find out the lady said its to the officers discretion they do not have to have the meter but if they can hear your music from 100ft away they can ticket you.

Fred Sherri
Install Team Lead
Future Shop 611 - Belleville
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.