GPS, Car & Marine Electronics

Visitor
akms31

my sub is acting weird

i have an phoenix gold amp with a jbl 12" sub

i hooked it up about 2 weeks ago and its been working great.  good bass sound coming from it.

today i got some self tap screws so i could screw the amp down to the back of the seat.  so i unscrewed all the connections

so i could move the amp aroound to find a spot.  in the end i didnt end up screwing it down as i didnt have enought room.

so finally i went an reconnected all the wires to the proper locations, same spots as before.  but now when i go to turn the radio on,

if i put the volume past lets say 10, the sub just starts pounding to its max constatly, and it wont stop, even if i turn down thevolume, it keeps going, so i have to then turn the car off.

what could be wrong, ive checked all the wiring and ground poitns etc...and they all seem fine

Trusted Expert
ShwaCarInstall

Amp could be messed up from something - if you have warre...

Amp could be messed up from something - if you have warrenty take it back to be tested

or

it could be a ground issue - bad ground point, lose connection, wire pinched, wire corroded, not making enough contact, and on and on........
Visitor
akms31

no warranty i checked all my ground points, cleaned them...

no warranty

i checked all my ground points, cleaned them off, re soldered my terminal connections and checked when i ran the wires.  nothign seems odd.

so did i blow the amp? the fuse is still fine.

Visitor
jdi_knght

A few years back I had an MTX amp that did the same thing...

A few years back I had an MTX amp that did the same thing, although it happened while it was playing. In my case it was from putting a 1-ohm load on the amp and it cooked something. Subs just starting going crazy. Friends in the car thought it was really crazy bass - felt like shotgun blasts going into the seat. Had to turn off the deck and then disconnect the amp.

Anyway, symptoms seem the same. For what it's worth, I got that amp repaired for about $50 at an electronics place in Winnipeg but that was probably close to 10 years ago now.

To be fair to MTX that amp was pounding for a really long time under that (improper) load before it went. One of the best amps I've ever had.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.