HD and Video Sources

Visitor
Question152025

I have a 3d blue ray player LG BD690C. do i need a spec...

I have a 3d blue ray player LG BD690C. do i need a specific hmdi cable to benefit from all features or will just any cable do? Does it have to read 3D, etc.
Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
3M_3TI8

Re: I have a 3d blue ray player LG BD690C. do i need a spec...

You need a HDMI cable that has the 1.4 specification for 3D.

Recognized Expert / Community Ambassador
debaser17

...actually not true. You don't have to have a 1.4, it just has to be high speed. Category 2 1.3 cables definitely work, and possibly even some category 1's.

Some newer 1.4 cables are labelled "3D" mostly as a marketing tool, it doesn't mean that other cables are not capable of 3D. My 4 year old cable handles 3D beautifully :smileyhappy: 

photo sig-community-ambassador-of-the-year-en_zps4bd74fc6.jpg

photo sig-gaming-member-of-the-year-en_zps7916bdcb.jpg
Recognized Expert
sonimax

Any goog HDMI cable will do.

There no such thing as HDMI 1.4 cable, it's against the rule to label HDMI cable with a version number.

Trust your senses, not the numbers...

Over 6,000 post
In the "forum français".
3M_3TI8

Sorry, a little clarification:

Cables can be lableled with version numbers, 1.3 1.4 etc. It is the speed ratings that are being standardized, the cables are either high speed or not. Companies stating ultra high speed or super hyper wicked high speed and such nonsense have been mandated to stop and re-label their products.

Version 1.4 has the capability of transmiting 2 simultaneous 1080p signals; version 1.3 can not, and while you will still get 3D, it will only be 1080i and HD cable/satellite converted to 3D will only be 540i. (Those with the passive, non powered 3D systems like LG and the new 2012 Panasonic LED's may not notice. Some people with active 3D systems may not notice the difference between 1080i and 1080p either.)

1.4 also supports up to 4K resolution, adds ARC (audio return channel) and ethernet for future connectivity.

Recognized Expert
sonimax

3M_3TI8 wrote:

Sorry, a little clarification:

Cables can be lableled with version numbers, 1.3 1.4 etc. It is the speed ratings that are being standardized, the cables are either high speed or not. Companies stating ultra high speed or super hyper wicked high speed and such nonsense have been mandated to stop and re-label their products.

Version 1.4 has the capability of transmiting 2 simultaneous 1080p signals; version 1.3 can not, and while you will still get 3D, it will only be 1080i and HD cable/satellite converted to 3D will only be 540i. (Those with the passive, non powered 3D systems like LG and the new 2012 Panasonic LED's may not notice. Some people with active 3D systems may not notice the difference between 1080i and 1080p either.)

1.4 also supports up to 4K resolution, adds ARC (audio return channel) and ethernet for future connectivity.

That's not true. Go check on the website of the HDMI organisation. It's very clear that manufacturers cannot label the cable with a HDMI version number.

And any good HDMI cable support 3D in 1080p. In fact, with a 3D BD, the bandwidth can be lower than with a regular BD!!!!!!

Over 6,000 post
In the "forum français".
3M_3TI8

Oops! :smileyfrustrated: My apologies... The logo guidelines were just amended in January of this year, so the version numbers are definitely no longer allowed to be advertised.

As for 3D, I stand by my previous post, incidentally, that info was gleaned from the same official HDMI site. :smileywink:

Recognized Expert
sonimax

3M_3TI8 wrote:

As for 3D, I stand by my previous post, incidentally, that info was gleaned from the same official HDMI site. :smileywink:

Again, not exactly true.:smileytongue:

HDMI cables had the bandwidth for 3D at 1080p from the beginning. It's the interface that need to be version 1.4. But the PS3 can output a 3D 1080p picture with it's V.1.3 HDMI output....

Over 6,000 post
In the "forum français".
Recognized Expert / Community Ambassador
debaser17

I have to agree with Sonicmax on this one. I found this topic interesting considering I view my 3D content with a 1.3 high speed HDMI cable, so I gave the HDMI site a read too. It definitely specifically states that any high-speed cable, whether manufactured under the 1.4 specification or not, is capable of handling 3D on any present device. I couldn't find anything to suggest that there is a significant jump in picture quality when upgrading to a 1.4 cable. More or less they simply seem to suggest that the 1.4 specification brings in a number of 3D protocals in anticipation of "competing approaches in rapidly evolving 3D technology". Directly below that it states:

"All High Speed HDMI cables will support 3D when connected to 3D devices. You can use your existing High Speed HDMI cables or choose a different cable type"

So I think that, to get back to the original poster's question, the response is no, you do not need a new 3D-logo branded cable. Any high-speed cable will suffice just fine :smileyhappy:

photo sig-community-ambassador-of-the-year-en_zps4bd74fc6.jpg

photo sig-gaming-member-of-the-year-en_zps7916bdcb.jpg
Recognized Expert
sonimax

Like you see, HDMI specs needs a lot of explanation to be clearly understand.

And thank's for the Kudos....:smileyhappy:

Over 6,000 post
In the "forum français".
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.