Exalted Expert
Krypto

Re: Is Telus TV any good?

hey jlnjcb, yes I have the full package (phone, internet, TV).

Internet doesn't slow down.  I just checked my speeds right now and according to speedtest.net, my download speed was 9.52Mbps and upload speed was 0.74Mbps (server location is Vancouver).  The conditions for that are 1 TV and Telus TV box on (programming is in HD) and one laptop and cell phone accessing the wireless network.

TV feeds do not lag in anyway, and they're actually faster now with the Optik TV service versus the old service.  Youtube plays just fine (so long as the Youtube servers aren't the problem) and I haven't seen any other hits to the internet or TV playback.

And just to run a seperate quick test, I ran the speed test with the TV (and Telus TV) off and came up with 8.26Mbps download, 0.77Mbps upload.

Hope that info helps you out.

If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking on the White Star.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Emerging Expert
jlnjcb

excellent krypto. thanks for that.

i've been wanting to make the switch from shaw to telus for awhile now (because its cheaper and it has free hd channels :smileytongue:), but the 3-year contract thingy scares me.

i guess now, ill just wait for a promo or something.

thanks again.

Exalted Expert
Krypto

If you've been a Telus landline client for a long time, contact them, even if you've been with Shaw for internet and TV.  You don't necessarily have to sign up for a 3 year contract, and they may have a decent deal.  As a heads up though, HD isn't free unless you sign up for the Your Pick HD package (if you sign up for that package though, you get the HD versions of all the channels you sign up for).

If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking on the White Star.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Visitor
plinc

I ordered Telus TV back in Jan of 2010 for the Olympics to check it out.  Then ordered HD in June.  When I ordered HD the problems started.  I have a 55" LCD with all HDMI wiring, Denon amp, surround sound, etc...  I started loosing audio in the middle of TV shows for about 10-15 sec, and as frequent at 3-4 times every hour - very frustrating!.  Long story short, we had telus tech support, they checked the wiring on our street, the full package.  At the end of the day, they wanted me to try composite cables instead of my HDMI, as they indicated although it is an option, the box does not support HDMI 100%.  I made the switch, and the problem was solved.  The only problem, the resolution on my 55" was drastically reduced, with pixel text, blurry video , etc...  When I informed them of the poor video quality, they understood why, and suggested I had a choice to make: poorer picture quality with no audio issues, or use my HDMI for a quality picture and put up with the audio problem.

I'm confused why Telus would offer HD TV, and then supply hardware that does not support HDMI?

I am now looking for another option, as I'm not willing settle for poor picture quality just because Telus brought a product to market the does not support HDMI.

Based on my experience I would not recommend Telus TV if you are using high end audio/video equipment; for the average user (eg: with a 42" TV not interested in HD)  it would probaly work just fine.

Ps: if you're watching regular TV, your internet speed is not really effected; however, if you're watching HD, there is a noticeable difference in speed!

Emerging Expert
jlnjcb

Oh I see. Thanks for that review plinc. I haven't gotten around to switching - this probably changes my mind.

I'm using a regular 37" tv, with no speakers or anything (just the built in ones). I'm planning on getting some HD channels - mainly sports. How badly does internet speed reduce when watching HD?

Exalted Expert
Krypto

Interesting that you're having those issues plinc. I'm surprised they didn't simply switch out the set-top box. Ours is plugged into a new Samsung LCD TV and an older Prima LCD TV, and the first is also plugged into a Samsung HTIB. All our TV connections are handled via HDMI while the audio to the Samsung HTIB is being handled via stereo audio. There have been no problems thus far. To me is sounds like faulty hardware - perhaps a problem in the circuit board?

Anyhow, that's just my thought...

Emerging Expert
jlnjcb

Hey Krypto,

Just curious: do you have telus as your cellphone provider? I was wondering if their prepaid service is any good.

Exalted Expert
Krypto

I don't use their prepaid service, but my cellphone is also through Telus.  I've been with them for a long time, so I've been able to get decent plans and deals.  In terms of things like reception, I'll get better reception in the interior of BC than most of my friends on Rogers, but they can sometimes beat me in other areas.  I also tend to get fewer dropped calls (except at home... the cell tower must be in an awkard location).  Then again, I've known a few people who have gone out to Ontario and had a number of problems with dropped calls and weak signal and over there, Rogers beat Telus out.

I've also had good luck with the Telus customer service, but I know others who have had very little that is good to say.  Maybe I'm just a bit more patient... I don't know.

But overall, I'm happy with my service on Telus.

Visitor
plinc

I don't have numbers to support the difference in internet speed when  watching regular TV ch. vs HD ch. I have internet with the Optik package and is the fastest they offer in our area. I do know that it takes an extra 2-3 sec for web pages to load.  If your watching videos on the web while watching HD, there are times when it doesn't stream fast enough and stalls the video.

Visitor
plinc

Everything runs through my amp: audio and video (it actually up-converts video inputs if needed)

I hear ya with the box... I made the request, but because the problem did not appear using the composite cables, did not feel that was necessary.  I have no idea why they would not try it.

FYI: the tech support people are very friendly - their dispatch/logistics set-up is terrible.  My wife stayed home all day for the tech to come and look at the problem (they tell you between 8 am and 4:30 pm) , only to get a phone call at 4:30 pm informing us that the tech just received the work order from their dispatch to come to our home, and that he could be there in 2 hours.  Needles to say, we had no interest in having a telus tech in our home on a Friday night at 6:30 after we've waited for over 8 hours).  We requested they come the following day, which they did (the tech was very friendly).  I requested a manager to contact me to express my concerns, and we have yet to talk (this was 2-3 weeks ago)

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.