HD and Video Sources

Contributor
hotelfive

Noticeable Difference b/w 60mHz and 120mHz Refresh Rate?

Is there a noticeable difference (ie enough to warrant the added cost on a new tv) between a tv with 60mHz refresh rate vs one with 120mHz refresh rate?

Thanks!
Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Snapshot

During a fast action sceen you will notice less blurring...

During a fast action sceen you will notice less blurring and a faster response with 120Hz. Less ghosting too. 

wil
Contributor
wil

decisions

yes, i'm also in the same dilema.
Looking at the sony XBR4 with 120Mhz and the sony W3000.  There is a big price difference of over $1000 so wondering if it makes such a big difference.

Snapshot

The top one is 1080p at 120Hz while the other one is 1080...

The top one is 1080p at 120Hz while the other one is 1080p with 60Hz, from what I can tell anyways. Personally I'd go plasma because it gets rid of all that refresh rate stuff.

Recognized Expert
kazm899

the xbr4 has great 120hz 5:5 pulldown versus conventional...

the xbr4 has great 120hz 5:5 pulldown versus conventional companies 3:2 pulldown..............

anyways i would not recommend paying extra for a 120 hz set, you probably wont notice the difference between a 60 hz set, and a 120 hz set. Most reviews say that the 120hz is barely noticable or not noticable when watching cable tv, and im not sure what the link is but there is an article on cnet which talks about 120 hz, and i think the conclusion is that its not worth it.............better yet rather then reading reviews go to FS or your local store and see if you can tell the difference between a 120 hz set, and a 60 hz set...............
Trusted Expert
NOFEAR

I 've done the visual test and I notice quit a differance...

I 've done the visual test and I notice quit a differance, also as Snapshot says go Plasma ,still tops.
Snapshot

I'm suggesting plasma to my friends and co-workers, I wna...

I'm suggesting plasma to my friends and co-workers, I wnat to see the picture they way it was intended to be seen. I don't play games that often so it would be mainly TV viewing and DVD playback. No refresh rate issues! :smileywink:

Recognized Expert
kazm899

tops in the matter of motion blur:smileywink:

NOFEAR wrote:
I 've done the visual test and I notice quit a differance, also as Snapshot says go Plasma ,still tops.

tops in the matter of motion blur:smileywink:
Visitor
jjhann

I purchased the Samsung 42" Plasma HPT4264 yesturday...

I purchased the Samsung 42" Plasma HPT4264 yesturday. I wasn't sure if I would buy a LCD or Plasma, I saw the Plasma in store and it looked much brighter and the colors looked great (Store settings). My only concern was burn in and image retention.  I was re-assured by the salesman (Not futureshop) that Burn in is a thing of the past and that nobody should be concerned about it. $1600 later with my new Samsung at home I tuned into Rush HD for a couple of hours. I then noticed when I changed channels the Rush HD logo was burnt in the bottom right corner. I went back to "the store" I purchased this from and explained the problem, and told them I was assured by a certain salesman not to worry about burn in and about its it's non-existant this day and age. THEY then tried to tell me I must of had that station on for 72 hours or more....after purchasing this Plasma no more then 16 hours ago. I even had to show them on the samsung on display how you can see the burn in.  Sure enough, it was there. They then said, it will go away on its own. Well 10 hours later, then burn in was still there on my plasma. However, there are features built into the Samsung to help prevent image retention and burn in issues such as the white screen and the pixel shifting and the sliding image. The way I figure it, why would I want to leave the Plasma running for hours trying to get rid of the burn in and having to go through this routine whenever I get a burn in. I Returned the Samsung and purchased a Sony KDL40D3000 120hz LCD. The difference is night and day.  The 120HZ technology looks a bit strange at first, it almost looks like a homemade video camera image and everything seems to more fluid and faster. My wife who couldnt care less about HD was so impressed by the Sony she actually got goose bumps and wanted to watch all the HD movies we had. To top it off ,she's the one who noticed the Sony in store how the credits where scrolling up the screen so smooth compared to EVERY other tv that was on display.
Recognized Expert
kazm899

sony makes great sets, great colour and pop

sony makes great sets, great colour and pop
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.