Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Snapshot

TRANSITION TO DIGITAL TV IN CANADA

Here's a link that will help everyone with questions regarding this issue:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc.nsf/eng/ca02336.html

How can I be sure that I am buying a digital TV (DTV)?

By law, beginning March 1, 2007, all television reception devices (including TVs, VCRs, DVRs, etc.) imported into the U.S. or shipped in interstate commerce must contain a digital tuner. Retailers may continue to sell analog-only devices from existing inventory, but must prominently display on or near the analog-only device a Consumer Alert label with this advisory:

CONSUMER NOTICE
After August 31, 2011, all analog televisions will require a converter box in order to receive Canadian over-the-air broadcasts using an antenna. At that time, over-the-air broadcast signals in Canada will be in digital-only format. Canadians using satellite or digital cable services should see no change.

U.S. television stations broadcasting over-the-air into Canada will make this change sooner, in February, 2009.

This television receiver has only an analog broadcast tuner and will require a converter box after February 17, 2009, to receive over-the-air broadcasts with an antenna because of the Nation’s transition to digital broadcasting. Analog-only TVs should continue to work as before with cable and satellite TV services, gaming consoles, VCRs, DVD players, and similar products.

How do I know if I already have a digital TV (DTV)?

Many DTVs and digital television equipment will have labels or markings on them, or statements in the informational materials that came with them, to indicate that they contain digital tuners. These labels or markings may contain the words “Integrated Digital Tuner,” “Digital Tuner Built-In,” “Digital Receiver,” or “Digital Tuner,” “DTV,” “ATSC,” or “HDTV” (High Definition television). If your television equipment contains any of these labels or markings, you should be able to view digital over-the-air programming without the need for a digital-to-analog converter box. (Remember, you do not need an HDTV to view free over-the-air digital programming. As long as your television equipment contains a digital tuner, you can view over-the-air digital. An HDTV is only necessary if you want to view High Definition programming in full HD quality.) You should also check the manual or any other materials that came with your television equipment in order to determine whether it contains a digital tuner.

If your television set is labeled as a “Digital Monitor” or “HDTV Monitor,” or as “Digital Ready” or “HDTV Ready,” this does not mean it actually contains a digital tuner. Thus, you still will likely need a separate set-top box which contains a digital tuner in order to view over-the-air digital programming.

Over-the-air digital set-top boxes for Digital or HD “Monitors” can be purchased at retail stores. Cable and satellite TV providers also sell or lease digital set-top boxes for their specific services. (Note: the digital set-top box described here is not the same as the digital-to-analog converter box, described above, used to convert free over-the-air digital broadcasts for viewing on an analog TV set.)

If your television set is labeled as “analog” or “NTSC,” and is NOT labeled as containing a digital tuner, it contains an analog tuner only.

If you cannot determine whether your television set or other television equipment contains a digital tuner, you are advised to check your equipment for the manufacturer name and model number, and then contact your consumer electronics retailer, or the manufacturer, to determine whether it contains a digital tuner. This information also may be available online through the manufacturer’s website.

Because most broadcast stations in all U.S. television markets are already broadcasting in digital, consumers can watch DTV today. You can contact your local broadcast stations to determine the channel numbers on which the stations are currently broadcasting digital programming. You should then ensure that your television is set up to receive over-the-air programming (as distinguished from being connected to a paid provider such as cable or satellite TV service), and then tune to the over-the-air digital channels to see if your set can receive the digital broadcast programming.

We still have time CANADA!

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
3M_3TI8

FYI: The US senate has now approved the delay of the dig...

FYI:

The US senate has now approved the delay of the digital transition from Feb 17 to June 12 ,2009.

Or until they delay it again:smileywink:

Snapshot

I made a post about this under TRANSITION TO DIGITAL DELA...

I made a post about this under TRANSITION TO DIGITAL DELAYED. Its in this section.

Recognized Expert / Community Ambassador
SnakeDiver

While the Senate approved the delay, the house did not....

3M_3TI8 wrote:

FYI:

The US senate has now approved the delay of the digital transition from Feb 17 to June 12 ,2009.

Or until they delay it again:smileywink:

While the Senate approved the delay, the house did not.  Transition still continues on February 17th.

Cheers,

Sna.ke .:. Developer
Snapshot

Why can't they all agreee on thing and make it simple?

Why can't they all agreee on thing and make it simple?

Credible_Chris

That would be too easy! :)   I just don't know why ,they...

That would be too easy! :smileyhappy:

I just don't know why ,they keep revisiting the same issue.  They should hvae picked a date, and closed the issue.

Quite honestly, I don't understand what you two are talki...

Quite honestly, I don't understand what you two are talking about :smileytongue:

They picked the previous date years and years ago.  About two years ago (maybe longer, can't quite remember) the FCC setup a program that would allow people to apply for a $30 coupon which they could use to get a free Digital Converter Box.  The amusing thing is, very few people took them up on this offer until about a month before the transition was to take place.  At that point everyone decided to request one.

Not expecting the sudden influx, they ran out of coupons.

That was one of the reasons why they delayed (very few people could actually get a free box, or afford to do so without the coupon).  I think the other reason was that Obama felt not enough organizations/consumers were ready for the transition.

The date is the 12th of June.  As for as I know, the issue was revisited just once (when it switched to June 12th from February).  On a side note, some cable stations did continue the transition as normal, and started offering some digital signals before June (or at least were planning on it).

I believe we do the switch in 2010 or 2011.  Can't remember now. 

Cheers,

Sna.ke .:. Developer
Snapshot

People are strange like that, they wiat until the last mi...

People are strange like that, they wiat until the last minute and wonder why they don't reap the benefits. (laughing to self)

Credible_Chris

They had to see this coming, like when most people wait t...

They had to see this coming, like when most people wait to the last minute to file tax returns...

Anyway, I switched over to digital years ago, so if and/or when they ever decide to switch for good, I'll be covered.

Same here.

Same here.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.