HD and Video Sources

Visitor
Question59553

What's the difference between a DVD Recorder and a PVR? Which would you recommend?

What's the difference between a DVD Recorder and a PVR? Which would you recommend?
Recognized Expert
cengel

a dvd recorder will burn information that goes into it to...

a dvd recorder will burn information that goes into it to a dvd.  example, you run your cable tv feed into it and you can record tv shows.

a pvr (like the shaw hdpvr) is a cable box that has a recorder built into it.  it records to a on board hard drive.  in the case of the shaw box, you can record 2 shows, and watch a previously recorded show at the same time.

on the plus side pvrs are usually a bit more user friendly.  on the downside once your shows are on the pvr they may not be too portable.

i have the shaw hdpvr and i have a friend who has a dvd recorder.  i prefer my pvr.

Yeah
Contributor
keldrin

I would recommend a PVR over a DVD recorder. Unless you w...

I would recommend a PVR over a DVD recorder. Unless you want to bring the shows you tape to someone else's house or something, there is no reason to get a DVD recorder. In today's day and age you could download a show on your computer and burn it to a CD/DVD if you really wanted to bring it to another location.

http://www.learninghdtv.com/139/what-is-a-pvr.htm

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.