HD and Video Sources

Announcements

Best Buy and Future Shop are consolidating as Best Buy. This means the products, services, and features you have come to expect from Future Shop and FutureShop.ca will now be available at Best Buy and BestBuy.ca. We have plans to invest up to $200 million to build a leading multi-channel customer experience on the Best Buy brand.

Visit futureshop.ca for more details & click here to learn more about what this means for the Tech Yeah Community.

Please visit the Best Buy Plug-in TV & Home Theatre forum to get your questions answered.

Visitor

What's the difference between a DVD Recorder and a PVR? Which would you recommend?

What's the difference between a DVD Recorder and a PVR? Which would you recommend?
Recognized Expert

a dvd recorder will burn information that goes into it to...

a dvd recorder will burn information that goes into it to a dvd.  example, you run your cable tv feed into it and you can record tv shows.

a pvr (like the shaw hdpvr) is a cable box that has a recorder built into it.  it records to a on board hard drive.  in the case of the shaw box, you can record 2 shows, and watch a previously recorded show at the same time.

on the plus side pvrs are usually a bit more user friendly.  on the downside once your shows are on the pvr they may not be too portable.

i have the shaw hdpvr and i have a friend who has a dvd recorder.  i prefer my pvr.

Yeah
Contributor

I would recommend a PVR over a DVD recorder. Unless you w...

I would recommend a PVR over a DVD recorder. Unless you want to bring the shows you tape to someone else's house or something, there is no reason to get a DVD recorder. In today's day and age you could download a show on your computer and burn it to a CD/DVD if you really wanted to bring it to another location.

http://www.learninghdtv.com/139/what-is-a-pvr.htm

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.