The Captain

Hard side vs soft side luggage

Hey all,

I have always had soft side luggage and found it to be on the heavier side and just not as cool as the hard side lugge (just my opinion) so I just recently bought hard side and I gotta say I love it!

It is lighter, it looks way nicer and I love the fact that the wheels are on all 4 corners (makes walking around with those bags  a lot easier).

I was wondering if any of you here have had experience with this type of luggage and how do you find the durability of them? Do they crack after the first trip etc.

As always any input is apprecaited!

PS - I got it in white, so I don't think its mine EVERY SINGLE bag that comes down on the carousel Smiley Very Happy

luggage feeling.jpg

Cheers,

Ved

Community Manager

Re: Hard side vs soft side luggage

Hey @vstevano.

Like you, I used to only own soft-side luggage. I've done my fair share of travelling, so I can definitely appreciate finding the perfect luggage pieces. 

When it comes to small pieces of carry-on luggage, I still use my soft-side carry-on suitcase. I I find that the pliability sometimes comes in handy when squishing it into those cramped overhead compartments on the plane. I also like the expandable zipper option on my soft-side carry-on, so that can increase the capacity slightly.

However, when it comes to larger pieces of luggage, I love hard-side. I recently got a hard-side piece, and it is so much lighter than my previous large soft-side pieces. The durability is fine. Mine has not cracked. There definitely are some brands that are considered more durable than others. It's not like I'm jumping on my luggage, so cracking isn't an issue, but it does get scratched here and there as it goes through baggage claim. I don't mind the scratches; those are bound to happen when the suitcases go through baggage claim. I would say the things I love most about hard-side luggage is the light weight and the durability (depending on brand).

I will only buy hard-side from now on unless it's a carry-on. I found that with a soft-side, I actually wasn't able to pack as much due to the weight restrictions. With my hard-side, it's lighter, so I was actually able to cram more in there. With my soft-side piece, I actually couldn't cram as much in there without it exceeding the weight limit. I'm sure there are many light-weight soft-side options though. Mine was just a heavy chunky piece. 

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

The Captain

Hey @BBYTerence,

Interesting point regarding the carry-on luggage...I guess I will have to find out how it goes on my next trip haha.

I don't mind the scratches either, its bound to happen!

Thanks for your feedback!

Ved

The Captain

I prefer the hardside luggage. Hardside luggage tend to have no external zipper pockets, which I prefer, eliminating the risk of strangers or unscrupulous baggage handlers from slipping illegal items into your luggage in zipper pockets that are not lockable.

The Captain
0 Kudos

That is also a very valid point @josh976
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hey @vstevano and @josh976

This new blog article reminded me of this forum post, so I thought I'd share it. It discusses some of the features of each brand.

Luggage comparison: Samsonite, Swiss Gear, Kenneth Cole

I actually have that exact 24" Kenneth Cole luggage. It's super light.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

The Captain
0 Kudos

The luggage items featured in the blog aren't TSA lock-friendly though

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Good point @josh976.

I've never thought about luggage  being TSA lock-friendly, but thinking about it now, I can see how that could decrease hassles.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator