Microsoft Xbox One, 360 & Kinect

Visitor
Gore

Trasferring game saves to the Xbox 360 S and my remaining warranty

When I first saw the new Xbox 360, my eyeballs almost popped out of my head!  It's a much nicer looking console than the old white ones!  The one thing keeping me from buying one is losing all of my game saves since my 120 gig isn't compatible with the new console. 

Can game saves be transferred to a USB memory stick that's plugged into the old Xbox and then moved to the new console?  I've searched for this answer online and can't find one.  Then it would just be a matter of recovering my current gamer tag, loading up my old game saves, and re-downloading any previously downloaded content...or is this an issue that requires me to get a data transfer kit from MS?  Are those kits free?

Another question I have is I purchased a 360 from FS in May 2009 and I also purchased a warranty good until May 2011.  Can the remainder of this warranty be moved to the 360 S if I still have my original receipt?

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Gore

Trusted Expert
Juice0904

Re: Trasferring game saves to the Xbox 360 S and my remaining warranty

As far as I am aware, you can use up to a 16GB flash drive to transfer data from one console to another.  You also have the option of ordering a transfer kit from Microsoft, which from what I hear, runs about $15-$20. 

The PSP for your current 360 cannot be transferred to your new one.  You would have to purchase a new PSP for it.  The nice part is, if you decide to sell your console privately, the warranty is transferrable to a new owner.  Just give the receipt when you sell it, and the PSP for the console is theirs now.  That shoudl help bump up the value of your console when selling it.  I don't believe stores where you can trade in your console for credit take things like that into account though, so the only real way to benefit is to sell it privately.

Hope that helps!

JB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Click on the star!

Recognized Expert
Evan_F
Job Title: Associate
Store: Scarborough

Hi Gore,

I'm not sure if Microsoft has implemented save transfers via USB yet or if you still have to use their one-time-use transfer cable-- Like Juice noted, these can be ordered from Microsoft directly. Last I heard, those cables were free if you had purchased a new console, but as I no longer have an Xbox, I've fallen out of that loop.

As for the warranty coverage, the product service plan you purchased on your original Xbox is only for that Xbox (registered to the unique serial number). As Juice mentioned, it is transferable to another person, but will require a quick call to customer serivce to change your information to the new owner's. If the information is not transfered, you or a direct family member will need to be there for the repair being sent off and return pick up.

Enjoy!

---

Evan
Coordinator
Future Shop 619 - Markham East
Visitor
Gore

Thank you for your replies!  Appreciate the help!

One last question though.  The original 360 I bought at FS in May '09, got the red rings of death in October 2009!  I called FS and I had to deal with MS for the RROD issue, since they still covered it on their warranty.  I sent MS my dead 360 and they sent me a refurbished one with a different serial number.

Should I call (or do I have to visit in person) the customer service dept. at my local FS to get the new serial# for this refurb applied to my remaining warranty??

Thanks again!

Gore

Trusted Expert
Juice0904

All you need to do is keep the paperwork from the service that MS did on your console, and bring it with you should you need Future Shop to service your console.  The paperwork should have a record of what the original serial number was and the new serial number of the refurbished console they sent you.

JB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recognized Expert
Evan_F
Job Title: Associate
Store: Scarborough

Just to confirm, Juice is correct.

Always, whether from us or the manufacturer, keep your service paperwork handy.

---

Evan
Coordinator
Future Shop 619 - Markham East
Trusted Expert
Juice0904

[ Edited ]

I know this thread is a couple of months old, but having recently gone through the process of transferring data from one Xbox to another, I thought this would be a relevant place to discuss my experience with it.

I bought one of the FS exclusive 250GB Super Elite consoles recently, and decided to go the transfer cable route for moving my data over.

First things first, for any DLC that you have, you will want to transfer your licenses from your old console to the new one.  When you download content from the marketplace, it becomes licensed to the CONSOLE that it was downloaded to.  In some cases, that content can only be used on that specific console, regardless of whether it is on a hard drive - so in addition to transferring the actual content itself, you will also want to transfer the licenses for that content to the new console. This is a very easy process - all you do is go to www.xbox.com/drm and follow the steps there.  It's important to note that this process can only be done once in a 12 month period.  Don't fear though, should you have to send your console away for repair and you get a refurbished console instead of the original back, the techs will transfer the licenses for your content to the new Xbox for you as part of the repair process.

First you transfer the licenses via the internet through your computer, and then you simply recover your gamertag on your new console and transfer all your data from the old console to the new one.  You should have full access to all of your DLC for your games - I know I do :smileyhappy:

I was really worried I was going to lose stuff in the transfer process, but it was very smooth and very easy.  The only thing it took was time.

If anyone has any questions about the process, feel free to ask.  I've got experience now :smileywink:

JB

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.