Movies & TV Shows

Contributor
Blahblehblah

Any possibility of a Steelbook for Lord of the Rings Trilogy?

Hi Brana,

As this is one of my favorite movies and knowing that its coming to blu-ray this year, i have to ask. Is futureshop in consideration of going steelbook with this? I know this is a Warner release and thus could potentially be subject to Ironpack instead (in which case i will not buy the Ironpack.. those things are ugly!), but if you can comment, that would be great. Thanks

Emerging Expert
Brana

Re: Any possibility of a Steelbook for Lord of the Rings Trilogy?

I can comment and all I can say right now is that things are looking good in the Shire. More details to come over the next few weeks. This one presents some unique challanges as it is a 9 disc release. Right now our plan is to pack the digital copy discs onto the package but they will not sit within the casing. We are going with our own plan vs the U.S. which will be a good thing for this one. It will be Steelbook

Contributor
Kory

[ Edited ]

Brana wrote:

I can comment and all I can say right now is that things are looking good in the Shire. More details to come over the next few weeks. This one presents some unique challanges as it is a 9 disc release. Right now our plan is to pack the digital copy discs onto the package but they will not sit within the casing. We are going with our own plan vs the U.S. which will be a good thing for this one. It will be Steelbook

How about convincing the studio to let you release them exclusively as three separate 3-disc SteelBooks, that use mono-lingual covers similar to the 4-disc Extended Edition releases? Nobody, and I repeat nobody, honestly wants another jumbo SteelBook. They're just terrible.

Just an idea...

Edit: They could even be shrink-wrapped together as one release, just in separate SteelBooks. I really think this is an idea that the fans would love, and the studio could tolerate. Please take this into consideration!

Contributor
Blahblehblah

Hi Brana,

That is indeed some great news to hear and i, for one, am glad i asked :smileyhappy: I am with Kory on this one though, a jumbo SB is definitely not the way to go considering the problems experienced with Monsters Inc. and Up. Steelbooks can house up to 3 discs for a regular SB so assuming LOTR trilogy is 9 discs in total, that would be perfect in having them all in 3 individual SBs (not to mention the wonders they can do with the cover art of each). That would be my preference but i know we can't always have it our ideal way :smileyhappy: Please keep us posted and as always, you have been a wealth of knowledge around here Brana. Its nice to know you lurk these forums and answer our daily prayers :smileyhappy:

Emerging Expert
iNCREDiPiNOY

[ Edited ]

I agree with the above post. Jambo SteelBook is just an experiment. They listen, they yell, and they will change whatever the customer say so. Jambo SteelBook is terrible design and one of those hinge plastic disc flipper broke off easily. Just stick with the regular SteelBook. Those disc flipper can't hold enough weight of all 9 disc packed in Jambo SteelBook.

BS Hunter
Administrator
Emerging Expert
isny

Three seperate SB's would be great, but would be costly to buy three seperate ones.

I for one don't mind the jumbo SB's, but I seem to be the minority.

Any new SB's is great though!

Emerging Expert
TM2-Megatron

I'm also for three seperate Steelbooks, as Jumbos are little more than a nuisance.  They're too prone to damage prior to purchase; there were way too many Monsters Inc. ones damaged, in particular.

Recognized Expert
Exist2Inspire

TM2-Megatron wrote:

I'm also for three seperate Steelbooks, as Jumbos are little more than a nuisance.  They're too prone to damage prior to purchase; there were way too many Monsters Inc. ones damaged, in particular.

That was brought up with the people from Scanavo and said they were looking into checking out the issue with them. I'm guessing they've either created a fix, or modified the case.

Thanks for the information on it Brana. Glad to hear that a SB is in the works!

What would be really cool, as mentioned before, would have each of the movies as a seperate SteelBook, but wrapped together in a slip case, or a box kinda like Rambo was, or even The Fast and the Furious Trilogy was. Costs would be pretty higher for it though, from both a production standpoint and a retailer/customer stand point (could make even less then).

Contributor
MrHitchcockFan

Thank you, Brana.  I'd also prefer 3 separate steelbooks too.

Emerging Expert
bigjee

Brana,

Please release LOTR in 3 separate steelbooks (like Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy)

• No Jumbo steelbook

• No Iron Packs

• No dvd-sized steelbooks

This was an awesome trilogy so let the launch be just as good.

Honor role member #5
Sweet!

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.