Scout

Bestbuy.com Steelbooks Vs Bestbuy.ca Steelbooks

Hi,

Can someone tell me the reason why there are a whole lot of steelbook movies available in BestBuy US which are not sold in Bestbuy Canada?  For example, the Resident Evil steelbooks and Underworld steelbooks which were recently released in Bestbuy US looks really awesome.   See links below:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=resident+evil+steelbook&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=underworld+steelbook%5C&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071...

As a steelbook collector, I'm very frustrated by the lack of steelbook releases here in Bestbuy Canada.  Even worst, you can't order them from Bestbuy US website and have it shipped to Canada.

Epic Genius

Re: Bestbuy.com Steelbooks Vs Bestbuy.ca Steelbooks

@dcferrari13

Welcome to the boards.

It's been explained many times that even if they share the same name, Best Buy USA and Best Buy Canada are completely independant from each other.  They both have their own Head Office, their own product buyers and with that, their own stock.

Keep in mind that BBY USA has a much larger buyer's base so they can take the risk of offering a specific title that could sell less, and that this ratio wouldn't work for the much less Canadian base here.

It's a sad answer, but it's what we've always been told and always made sense.  What I've asked myself several time would be a partnership between both BBY entites that would offer us Canadians a limited run of everything from the USA... but unfortunately, it never got through.... who knows... maybe someday a product buyer will be open minded for that....

Highlighted
Luminary

Canadian Population: 36 Million

American Population: 322 Million 

and like @Drum18 said, completely different except the name.

Luminary

Not to mention that any partnership between BB U.S. & BB International (Canada) would require the goods to be considered as "Imports" and strictly sold online due to not having bilingual packaging for the 2nd largest market in Canada.

Most of those "Exclusives" find their way through resellers at some point, but given the exchange rate, it would probably not be priced any lower from BB directly, but that's only my opinion.

I'm actually surprised that none have showed up through the BB reseller marketplace.

Legendary Epic Genius

[ Edited ]

Greetings @dcferrari13

perhaps I can shed a little more light on this matter.

@Drum18@Jacques1400 @Coltyboy pretty much nailed it - our population, exchange rate, store count is miniscule compared to that of the US. They have over 1100 stores, we have like....130? So on the economies of scale it is signficantly more expensive here to sell something to the public as the cost per unit automatically is more.

Let us also not forget something else which I see is often overlooked, the legalities of selling stuff in Canada. Everything here NEEDS to be in English and French - this is not the case in the US. That in itself is an extra expense, and a hefty one at that. We also have different laws under the Consumer Protection Act, The Competition Act and Quebec has their own set as well.

While I am not totally familiar on the legalities of movies, much like Netflix and YouTube I am sure there are restrictions on what can/cannot be sold in each region (Canada vs US) - we unfortunately do not go under one region 'North America.' This is directed towards your steelbook point.

I do agree whole heartedly on @Drum18 point on limited runs from the US for select products. But unfortauntely its not as easy as putting it on a delivery truck and shipping it up here to resell.

Hope that helps.

Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Scout
0 Kudos

@Drum18  @Jacques1400 @Coltyboy @Computers_Mike

Thanks a lot for shedding some light on this matter!  I never thought there were that many complexities when it comes to selling stuff in Canada.  I'm assuming this is probably why a lot of major retail stores like (Target, **competitor** etc.) got closed down and weren't as successful compared to their US / UK counterparts.  Sounds like poor exchange rate vs USD  plus too many legalities are the major contributing factors.

Oh well, I guess there's nothing we can do about it.  Maybe the next time I visit US I'll be sure to check out Bestbuy and grab all those awesome steelbooks LOL! Smiley Happy

Luminary
0 Kudos

@dcferrari13 That's exactly what I end up doing, I head down to the states with my friend for American Thankgsiving and grab a bunch on Black Friday, Think I managaed to get around 17 Steelbooks last time that I couldnt get here in Canada.

Legendary Epic Genius

I feel like most of us always make time for a stop at Best Buy to check out the selection on our trips to the US!

Luminary

They do accept Canadian purchases if you have a U.S. shipping address, I've had an account for years with them and it works flawlessly. I can even give you my rewards card number if you care to use it. Smiley LOL

Drawback is that you're pretty much SOL if you get a dinged Steelbook, but no solution is perfect.

Luminary

All I can say is so far the inventory of steelbooks at Best Buy Canada has vastly improved from the days when we thought Steelbook Exclusives at Best Buy were dead http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/Are-Steelbooks-Exclusives-Dead-at-BB/m-p/169287 . That being said it does not seem like things will never be the same as the good ole days of Future Shop and/or we will have the same inventory as Best Buy USA. Unfortunately, we have discussed this topic at length; with some improvement with the help of @BBYTerence but we still have a way to go till we have the same as the Best Buy in the USA for many titles or to get specific versions like the Dr. Strange and Moana with 3-D. While I also have Best Buy account in the USA and live in a border city so I can drive to a Best Buy store if I want a title; it comes down to the same point @Jacques1400 mentioned one "drawback is that you're pretty much SOL if you get a dinged Steelbook" and another issue is if you buy one from a store you have to go back to exchange the steelbook. Depending on the border crossing site you use it becomes expensive not to mention the exchange rate but as stated before no solution is perfect.