Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius

Canadian Movies

[ Edited ]

One suggestion, since everyone else out there is celebrating Canada this year, is to have an exclusive run (SteelBook packaging?) of Canadian films.  A lot of these could be catalog titles that studios wouldn't mind selling a few more copies of.

They could be films like:

BON COP BAD COP

DEAD RINGERS

THE SWEET HEREAFTER

VIDEODROME

EXOTICA

POLYTECHNIQUE

GOON

STRANGE BREW

PASSCHENDAELE

BLACK CHRISTMAS

ANNE OF GREEN GABLES

CRASH (1996)

THE F WORD

MAURICE RICHARD (THE ROCKET)

MEATBALLS

MEN WITH BROOMS

ONE WEEK

ROOM

SCANNERS

I'm sure I am missing a lot more.  That would be really cool though -- maybe release one title a week over four or five weeks with limited numbers to minimize risk.

Luminary

Canadian Movies

[ Edited ]

While that seems like a good idea @SonicBoom, I know that I for one, would not buy any of those movies just because they are in Steelbook form. Unfortunately, Canadian film doesn't have the same mass appeal as Hollywood films. Smiley Sad

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Re: Canadian Movies

Good one @SonicBoom Smiley Happy

I might add:

The apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz

Porky's

Porky's revenge

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Luminary
0 Kudos

I have to second @goofysuperman on this, it's one thing to be patriotic, but another to have a mass appeal to generate interest. A lot of people never even heard of those titles.

Your list is great, but you're also talking several OOP titles with tied-up rights & a multitude of studios who could not care less about Steelbooks.

I can see some "Boutique Labels" taking this on for limited runs, similar to Severin releasing "Cathy's Curse" or Code Red with some of their own Obscure titles for example, but if it doesn't sell South side, it won't happen.

Legendary Epic Genius

Yes, I know some of those titles are not big movies.  Some of them are.

I think a valid point is that if there were a limited number of an exclusive (SteelBook) that has never been released before, there would be a mass appeal online to collectors worldwide because Best Buy Canada would be the only ones who have it.  

Titles which have not been done before would be hugely popular and would very likely sell out due to GBs (Group Buys) from international collectors who do not have access to Canadian SteelBooks.

Make 1000 or 2000 copies of MEATBALLS -- roughly 10-20 copies per store -- and I think it would be very likely to sell out online.

Of course we could go back to do Superman movies or Batman movies.

Also TV series.  After a TV series is no longer popular, I see a lot of seasons drop dramatically in price.  Those series could be re-packaged in an exclusive format and I think that might sell well too.

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

I would jump on old shows like All in the family, or Bonanza, Garrison's guerillas, to name a couple.. ;-)

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I can see a Goon steelbook coming alongside the sequel (same for Bon Cop Bad Cop), but the rest are pretty niche as others have suggested. And the Cronenberg titles have amazing Criterion and Shout releases -- doubt they'd get the rights to include those discs.

The Captain
0 Kudos

I'd get Passchendaele and Men With Brooms, for sure.
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Great list @SonicBoom, I want all of these as steelbooks because they DON'T purely exist to gratify the masses! We're Canadian, we make amazing movies because we refuse to pander to the same hollywood drivel that placates the simple minded Smiley Wink 

Anything by Cronenberg or Egoyan would be a given for me... and Room too because that's probably in my Top 5 ever. Thumbs up!!

photo signature-member_zps0ovpnde8.jpg

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

So the purpose of the list was to create SteelBook titles that don't currently have the SteelBook treatment.

Even if many casual viewers are not familiar with them, and they are not blockbusters, there is a very active online community that monitors every single SteelBook release worldwide.  This would surely get worldwide attention and requests for copies from around the world.

Best Buy doesn't need to ship internationally.  Local GB hosts can do that!