The Captain
0 Kudos

Re: Dr. Strange Steelbook Thread

I returned my (unopened) copy of the Doctor Strange Steelbook.

I returned it because of the lack of a title on the spine. The Steelbook looks so crappy, rushed and cheaply made because of this omission.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In my area each store received 30 copies on release date.

I'm guessing there were enough of these to go around for everybody who actually wanted a copy.after all.

I haven't seen any complaints here by anyone missing out on a copy once they were actually released for sale in stores.

I have read that Best Buy has 200 locations in Canada (not all are full retial stores...some are Best Buy mobile stores) but let's say they have 150 full stock stores that sell Blu-rays.  Anybody know the exact number?

If they all received an average of 30 copies that would be about 4500 Steelbook copies.

Plus there were pre-orders.  I have no idea how many.

Being that this is a Marvel Studios movie, would this seem like an adequate number of copies for a steelbook release in Canada?

I would like to read your opinions.

Thank you.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

SilverBlade wrote:

I returned it because of the lack of a title on the spine. The Steelbook looks so crappy, rushed and cheaply made because of this omission.

I guess you didn't do your homework because the SteelBook was clearly advertised as such way before.

Luminary

casey1985 wrote:

I

I have read that Best Buy has 200 locations in Canada (not all are full retial stores...some are Best Buy mobile stores) but let's say they have 150 full stock stores that sell Blu-rays.  Anybody know the exact number?

Hey @casey1985according to this article http://www.bestbuy.ca/bestbuycanadacorporate/default.html there are 200 hundred stores in Canada (but it does not indicate if they are just full retial stores.or are they also Best Buy mobile stores. 

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish with this mathematical exercise because not all stores get the same quantity and those numbers are usually kept as a 'trade secret'.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I'm just trying to figure out how many copies of a steelbook title are enough for Canada.  

And if there were indeed enough to go around for people in Canada for Doctor Strange.

There were complaints that they were sold out online.

They were then released in stores on the release day.

I don't see anybody complaining now that they didn't get one.

So I'm asking people if they agree that there were enough of this title to go around.

Legendary Epic Genius

I think if you could do that, you would be easily promoted to VP at Best Buy within a year.

The key with any retail store is to have just enough inventory to satisfy your customers.

Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to predict what will sell (STAR WARS TFA) and what won't (CIVIL WAR).  If they could do this, Best Buy would be happy, we would be happy, and Donald Trump would be back on THE APPRENTICE where he belongs.

I usually buy every Best Buy SteelBook release, but I bought four this week and none of them from Best Buy.  The reason is that they did not carry them, or they carried a version of the SteelBook that I'm not interested in (4K, for example).

But if you're asking me, they ordered enough of DOCTOR STRANGE, MOANA, FANTASTIC BEASTS and ASSASSIN'S CREED because they sold out of them and I didn't order any of them.

Legendary Epic Genius

SilverBlade wrote:

The image on the product page does not have a title on the spine, and there were active discussions on a few threads here about the lack of title. Not sure you can be all that disappointed...

Luminary
0 Kudos

SonicBoom wrote:

I think if you could do that, you would be easily promoted to VP at Best Buy within a year.

The key with any retail store is to have just enough inventory to satisfy your customers.

Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to predict what will sell (STAR WARS TFA) and what won't (CIVIL WAR).  If they could do this, Best Buy would be happy, we would be happy, and Donald Trump would be back on THE APPRENTICE where he belongs.

I usually buy every Best Buy SteelBook release, but I bought four this week and none of them from Best Buy.  The reason is that they did not carry them, or they carried a version of the SteelBook that I'm not interested in (4K, for example).

But if you're asking me, they ordered enough of DOCTOR STRANGE, MOANA, FANTASTIC BEASTS and ASSASSIN'S CREED because they sold out of them and I didn't order any of them.

Hey @SonicBoom,

Your right the key with any retail store is to have just enough inventory to satisfy your customers. It is quite difficult to predict what steelbooks will sell and in truth not everybody will buy every steelbook that is being offered buy Best Buy Canada; while I did get the 2-D version DOCTOR STRANGE, 4K FANTASTIC BEASTS, ASSASSIN'S CREED and MOANA I ended up ordering at Best Buy USA online in a 2-D version because the 3-D was sold out. In truth there are alot of movies if releasesed in steelbook I would not buy them LA LA LAND,  the new XXX Return Of Xander Cage and the so called finale UNDERWORLD movie (but that is just me). 

While I have stated before Steelbooks for me is more about spending money on physical editions of movies that I love and if I am going to own a physical copy of a movie, I want it to be something more than just a disc in a blue piece of plastic. I do not even bother buying Blu-rays anymore unless they are they're in a Steelbook and only buy the movie if I really liked it in the movie theater which has been Marvel Studio titles, Star Wars, Disney and a few of the movies which I feel I will go back and watch again and again which has caused me to buy less steelbook. I am actually waiting to see how the sale of Star Wars Rogue One does mainly because it contained a 3-D, 2-D, DVD and a extra fourth disc ( I am Interested in seeing if having all the discs will make a difference in sales) instead of offering one 3-D version and one 2-D version. If having one Steelbook that contains everything including DVD will make a difference (maybe not).  

Legendary Epic Genius

bjmaxvin67 wrote:

Hey @SonicBoom,

Your right the key with any retail store is to have just enough inventory to satisfy your customers. It is quite difficult to predict what steelbooks will sell and in truth not everybody will buy every steelbook that is being offered buy Best Buy Canada; while I did get the 2-D version DOCTOR STRANGE, 4K FANTASTIC BEASTS, ASSASSIN'S CREED and MOANA I ended up ordering at Best Buy USA online in a 2-D version because the 3-D was sold out. In truth there are alot of movies if releasesed in steelbook I would not buy them LA LA LAND,  the new XXX Return Of Xander Cage and the so called finale UNDERWORLD movie (but that is just me).  

So I guess that is the big difference between you and me.  

I have pre-ordered all of those SteelBooks above (LA LA LAND, RETURN OF XANDER CAGE, and all UNDERWORLD films).  None were carried by Best Buy Canada, so I had to resort elsewhere.

Furthermore, I re-purchased the UNDERWORLD and RESIDENT EVIL series because I liked the art on the new SteelBooks and there was a sale on them.

If Best Buy Canada would re-release catalog titles in SteelBook at the $10-15 range, I would buy them.

Please not RESIDENT EVIL or UNDERWORLD -- and not that Pop art junk.

The ugly truth is probably that this price range doesn't have enough profit margin to justify the floor space for these SteelBooks in Canada.