Movies & TV Shows

Contributor
Brennan556

Re: No Digital Copy Disc In DISTRICT 9 Blu-ray Steelbook

In Future Shop's defense, Warner Bros Home Video Canada changed the contents of the HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE Blu-ray release in Canada from 3 discs to 2 discs, eliminating the regular DVD of the movie. No explanation was given by Warner Bros for the last-minute change and this affected not only Future Shop's regular and Steelbook blu-ray releases but also in all the other competitor stores across Canada. I did learn something interesting afterwards: Warner Bros recently confirmed that there was a defect in the regular 1-disc DVD of HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE released in Canada where the subtitles were mistakenly not included. If you contact Warner Bros, they will send you a self-adressed envelope so anybody who purchased the regular 1-disc DVD and are interested in replacing their copy will have to send them back to be replaced with the American version with all the subtitles intact.
Contributor
fat1138

at least warner did it right with the digital copy ,eliminate actual disc and download digital copy online and access code  paper included in steelbook
Contributor
appleb

[ Edited ]
Amarays releases that retail with the digital copies are priced higher than amaray's without the digital copy. For example, Wall-E 3 disc was 2 dollars more than the Wall-E 2 disc (digital disc copy being the difference).

I wonder if this affected the price of the steelbook and we paid more than we were supposed to.
Message Edited by appleb on 12-30-2009 08:51 AM
Contributor
Brennan556

My friend just told me about the e-mail response he got earlier from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) regarding the missing digital copy disc and insert on Future Shop's DISTRICT 8 Blu-ray Steelbook. The release of the regular DISTRICT 9 Blu-ray in Canada is officially two discs: a blu-ray of the movie and a digital copy disc for iTunes and PC. Since Future Shop's Steelbook is missing the digital copy disc and redemption code insert, SPHE has classified this, in their own words, as a "defective copy". Unfortunately, SPHE had pointed out that they didn't have any issues with the regular 2-disc Amaray release and that any store-exclusive beyond the regular release is the responsibility of the store who released it so they're not going to provide replacements for the missing digital copy discs and inserts to those who bought the Steelbook. Furthermore, SPHE had suggested that anybody not happy with the "defective copy" of the DISTRICT 9 Blu-ray Steelbook should return the item (with official receipt) to the Future Shop store where they bought it from following the store's policies on returns and exchanges. 
Emerging Expert
isny

Thanks for the the info Brennan.

Nice to know both sides blame each other, but that's usually how it is.

Recognized Expert
honda_h2o

[ Edited ]

Can I just say something here...

I bought 2 movies from Sony in the past 2 weeks. 1. Cloudy with a chance of meatballs Bluray + Digital Copy and Michael Jackson's "This is it" Bluray + Digital Copy from sister company.

Both redemption codes dont work when used on the PS3.

I went to contact Bluray Sony and quote on his email.

"As for your issue with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs:

Thank you for your email.  We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) products.

Unfortunately, the PSP digital copy is not available since the PSN Video store is not yet available in Canada."

So please stop speculating about Future Shop always screwing up bla bla bla. It is Sony who is responsible for the mess by not supporting Canadians with the correct information. In otherwords..this is FALSE ADVERTISING.

I'm done with my rant. I will watch my movies on the big screen than on my PSP.

Cheers

Alex

______________________________________________________________________________________________
My Zune Profile: http://social.zune.net/member/SimplyAlex83
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hondah2o83
Contributor
Brennan556

For the record, I've known about the problems with PSP digital copy on new Sony blu-rays way back in November when I bought THE UGLY TRUTH blu-ray. At that time, Sony Home Video didn't know about this problem until my friend wrote Sony's customer service and told them about the situation regarding the Canadian Playstation Store. It was only after several emails that Sony decided to issue the response acknowledging that redeeming the PSP digital copy from the new Sony blu-rays is not working in Canada. I agree that Sony is guilty of continuing to advertise in its packaging that the PSP digital copy is redeemable in Canada especially considering next week's release of ZOMBIELAND which also has this feature. I've also always maintained that this feature will work in Canada only if the Canadian Playstation Store finally sells movies and TV shows; until that time comes I'll just wait and see.

The issue in which I started this post is this: there was no second disc in Future Shop's DISTRICT 9 Blu-ray Steelbook. This second disc contains the digital copies for both iTunes and PC; every regular and store-exclusive blu-ray copy of DISTRICT 9 sold in North America has this second disc EXCEPT Future Shop's Steelbook. Sony Pictures Home Video denied causing this while Future Shop so far didn't issue any response to this (and probably never will). This is the first time in all the years that I've been buying at Future Shop that their more expensive store-exclusive is missing content compared to the regular version. I've already accepted the fact that this will never be resolved and this will be my final comment regarding this matter.  

Recognized Expert
Exist2Inspire

[ Edited ]

Brennan556 wrote:

The issue in which I started this post is this: there was no second disc in Future Shop's DISTRICT 9 Blu-ray Steelbook. This second disc contains the digital copies for both iTunes and PC; every regular and store-exclusive blu-ray copy of DISTRICT 9 sold in North America has this second disc EXCEPT Future Shop's Steelbook. Sony Pictures Home Video denied causing this while Future Shop so far didn't issue any response to this (and probably never will). This is the first time in all the years that I've been buying at Future Shop that their more expensive store-exclusive is missing content compared to the regular version. I've already accepted the fact that this will never be resolved and this will be my final comment regarding this matter.  

It's just Sony's typical Customer Support trying to shift the blame on something else. Considering that Sony is the one that outsources the creation of the SteelBooks, it's pretty much their fault that the DigitalCopy didn't get included in the SteelBook.

Honestly, your best bet would be just to let it slide. Yeah, it sucks, but there isn't anything you can really do, without the exception of getting the Amaray version as well.

Also, I believe the U.K. version (which is the same as the FutureShop SteelBook) is also only one disc (same with the France SteelBook).

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
Atomic

I think this is a fact of life if you're collecting SteelBooks.  There may always be something missing/different from the original amaray case.

Look at all of the Disney SteelBooks missing booklets and DMR points.  Same thing.

As for the digital copy, it is a minor point.  If you already have the original, you can always rip down a low-res copy of it for personal use.  The extra disc just saves you the time of having to do that.

I really don't understand the fuss about digital copies, really.  It is a gimmick now so that studios can advertise a 'two-disc version'.  It is usually time-limited and redundant.  And I don't know how people can watch movies on a phone or iPod.  If I have full HD at home, why on earth would I want to watch it on a 2x2" screen??

Recognized Expert
Exist2Inspire

GreatGreg wrote:

I think this is a fact of life if you're collecting SteelBooks.  There may always be something missing/different from the original amaray case.

Look at all of the Disney SteelBooks missing booklets and DMR points.  Same thing.

As for the digital copy, it is a minor point.  If you already have the original, you can always rip down a low-res copy of it for personal use.  The extra disc just saves you the time of having to do that.

I really don't understand the fuss about digital copies, really.  It is a gimmick now so that studios can advertise a 'two-disc version'.  It is usually time-limited and redundant.  And I don't know how people can watch movies on a phone or iPod.  If I have full HD at home, why on earth would I want to watch it on a 2x2" screen??

Amen GreatGreg.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.